Go Bottom

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
oljoe66
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-20          170974

my gator 4x2 will not start in morning when temp is low,but starts just fine in afternoon,spark plug replaced, fuel supply ok and clean.tried choking and not choking every way i can think ok, still no start when cold only. ambient temp in am approx 45-60 degrees and in afternoon 85+.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-05-21          170978

Do a compression test, also valve lash is .005 cold. ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
oljoe66

2010-08-08          172903

found no spark when cold,swapped my ignition module to my buddys gator,his runs with my module,checked power and grounds to ignition module,all ok,compression ok,checked power at 2 main wires going to ignitor/pickup power weak when cranking, compared to buddys, his lights up test light very brightly on both circuits..temp got warmer then it fired up,just like it always does. ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-08          172907

If you are talking about the two green wires going across the motor, they are from the stator and don't affect the starting circuit. Have you tried your buddy's coil? That's where I'd go next. Also check that black wire that goes from the coil, it changes to white after the engine harness and goes to the ignition switch. Start at the coil and look for a bare spot. Make sure it is not going to ground anywhere. Also I think your motor will start with the engine harness unplugged. All that harness does is provide the charge from the stator and a ground wire to the ignition to shut it off. I've had those motors running on a bench with nothing hooked to them. Everything is in the coil and ignitor and what stops it is grounding that black/white wire. ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
oljoe66

2010-08-10          172972

i think i may have been mistaken by saying that i swapped igniton module, after reading some of your posts [gatoraider]i realised that i did not switch them. after reading your desription of what the igniter looks like a 1 inch square aluminum looking module with 1 black wire going to it,i actually switched module on side of frame with 5 way connector,,i realize now that this is actually the voltage regulator? knowing this,i am going to swap out ignitors than try it,, can i test coil with ohmmeter, if so can antone help with specs? ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-10          172973

I don't think there is a test for the coil. It is basically a magneto and needs rotating magnets to create a charge. It only has one connection besides the plug wire and thats to ground it to shut it off. You could set that motor on a bench and if you could turn the flywheel fast enough by hand, you could start it with nothing connected to it but a gas line to the carbuetor. ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-10          172974

I meant carburetor................ ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
oljoe66

2010-08-10          172976

i understand,,i am going to try swapping ignitors before i remove engine,also i will swap coil out with known good one,ill let you know results, probably wont be til this weekend ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
oljoe66

2010-08-26          173472

just to try to see if it would work, tried to start gator,, would not start,mind you it will start when temp is above 90 degrees. this am temp about 79 this am so i heated up ignitor with hair dryer for approx 3 minutes. well shazam,, id fired right up. tihs message for gatorraider. am going to try again tomorrow morning,if it works again, i am going to replace ignitor. ....

4x2 gator will not start

View my Photos
oljoe66

2010-08-28          173511

tried to start gator again yesterday morning,, would not start, applied heat to ignitor with hairdryer,after about 2 minutes it fired right up..so i picked up new ignitor,,[expensive little bugger], installed it this morning,and i fired right up.i think i may have this problem solved. but i will try agin tomorrow morning to make sure. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login