Go Bottom

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
VanceB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-07          172877

I have had my Gator about 10 years. It has recently started to "jerk" at take off. I press the gas peddle, it accelerates, and then jerks foward. Does anyone have any idea what might be causinng this?

Vance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-07          172878

Vance;
A couple questions about the Gator.
What model?
How many hours?
When you say it accelerates then jerks, do you mean the engine revs up then the Gator jerks forward or is the Gator moving then the jerk occurs?
I'm going to guess either a worn drive belt or the variable speed pulleys are sticky and the engine pulley fails to close up to follow the belt smoothly up the narrowing sheave.
Gatoraider can do a lot better than me, so maybe he can help too.
Frank. ....

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
VanceB

2010-08-07          172889

Thanks for a quick answer. I have a "4 X 2" with 1,333 hours. My problem is that the engine revs up, then jerks forward.

The drive belt seems loose. Is there a way to tighten it? Or, should it be replaced? Or, do you think I'd be wasting my time. Vance ....

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-07          172893

Vance;
I'd rather that Gatoraider got to you first but likely with 1300 hrs. you need a belt. As the sides of the belt wear off it makes the belt narrower which in a round about way makes the belt longer, too long to work right with the variable speed pulleys.
I don't think there is an adjustment but I do remember a bolt that holds the engine in place that can break letting the engine move a bit letting the belt loose too.
Frank. ....

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-08          172898

Hardwood, you did very well. I think it needs a belt, PN RE 28721. The belt guard is the brace between the motor and the transaxle and sometimes the bolts holding it to the motor shear off allowing the motor to shift toward the transaxle on acceleration. Also, if the clutch rollers get heavy grooves in them, the Gator will learch forward on take off because the clutch requires more rpm to activate. ....

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-16          173163

You would do well to check the belt tightness as well when you get it installed! IT makes a big difference in top speed as well. ....

Why Does My Gator Jerk

View my Photos
bmeyer123

2010-10-11          174517

Check out this other forum page link below. You may have a sticky primary or secondary clutch, bad bumpers on the secondary clutch or a problem inside the primary clutch (springs, etc). But a belt would be an early try before spending money on clutch parts. Good luck. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login