Go Bottom

1997 gator 6x4 throttle sticking

View my Photos
jspec12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-23          173391

Well on the continuing saga of getting to know every piece of this gator before using it. I solved the water in the oil issue and now it is back together and it starts up and runs good. I have 2 issues 1 is the idle is too high and its immpossible to get it into forward or reverse without using the choke to lower the rpms. Also when I finally get it in gear it feels like it is always at say 1/2 throttle no matter what. I can use the choke to kill the motor or slow it down but I know that is not a good solution. I have read the service manual about adjusting all of this but man is it confusing. Does anyone have any insight on how to fix this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-23          173399

The plate that has the springs, etc on it has two nuts holding it on. Try slackening off the nuts and moving the plate. This *should* make a big difference to the idle speed. ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-24          173408

I am not sure what plate you are reffering too. The issue is on the actual carb there are 2 butterflys the front one is the choke the back one is the throttle if I am correct. It looks like JD doesn't believe that the throttle should be a simple thing. The back butterfly kinda free floats with a rod that pushes it forward but not back. I solved the issue by putting a spring on the throttle that holds it closed until it is pushed open by the rod. Then when you release the gas it shuts. It make it a bit jerky but at least I can get it in gear and drive the dam thing. ....

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-24          173419

See Page 92 in the manual. ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-25          173443

Been there! Read that! Printed it out! Still shaking my head! Curse you JD and your stupid govenor system. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login