Go Bottom

oil filter won t come off

View my Photos
iowaken
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-10-24          174743

Help! have HPX 4x4 diesel. Can't seem to get oil filter off. Any tricks to it? Tried from above and below. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-25          174745

Likely the last person didn't oil the gasket and reefed it too tight. First step is the right filter wrench. Other techniques depend on what room you have to get tools in there.

Take the replacement filter to a good auto supply store and get a quality wrench for it. For instance, you can likely get a cup wrench that fits right on the end of it. You put a extension drive into the socket-opening on the end, snap a handle on the drive, and maybe a pipe over the handle.

Just move it a few degrees and the resistance is gone. If there's room, another pair of hands with a slide-up wrench or even a large pliers will budge it. Last resort is a hammer and chisel (don't hurt the mounting threads). ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-26          174770

Ken;
Like Auer said space to work can be an issue, he had some good ideas. I'll just add that the strap wrenches work pretty good in tight quarters. In a nasty won't let go situation I have if there is room driven a long punch or screwdriver thru the filter for a lever to get it loose.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
iowaken

2010-10-26          174771

Thanks! There is no room to work at all and one can't even see the filter. It's all done by feel. Tried everything but our neighbor finally got it off with chain wrench. We will definetly look for a better wrench for the next time. We made sure the new filter was oiled and hand tightened only. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-26          174772

Don't feel bad. One time when my Supra was on a garage hoist I asked them to change the oil and filter. The technician managed to make the filter leak but couldn't get it off. They had to tow me to Toyota where they have dedicated cup-wrenches. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-10-26          174778

Has little to do with filter removal but got shocked to find out our Kohler lawn mower engine and my wife's Avalon used the same oil filter. Knew Kohler had class. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login