Go Bottom

2007 gator cx with terrible engine miss

View my Photos
gizardlizard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-03-29          177674

Hello all. New member here with a question. I just bought a 2007 Gator Cx for the wife. It will barely idle and has a terrible miss to it. At full throttle, it's better, but still has a slight miss. After letting off the throttle, it back fires. I did a plug chop and it looks lean to me. {very white insulator with some deposits}. I replaced fuel with fresh, changed plugged, took carb apart and cleaned. Same deal. Any advice? Could the fuel pump be causing this? It is way worse at idle then wide open though.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatormaki

2011-03-29          177678

It could well be the fuel pump- My experience is you're lucky to get 2 years out of them. But try pulling the choke when it misses- if it runs better I would replace the pump. It is not a Deere part so they are cheap to replace. I wouldn't try the rebuild kit though- not worth the aggravation vs $ for a new pump IMO. ....

View my Photos
gizardlizard

2011-03-29          177688

Hey Gatormaki. I called Deere and they said a rebuild kit is NOT available but the pumps are $52.00. Do you get them thru deere or where? And yes, it smooths out if I give it some choke. Please tell me where should go to get a pump. Thanks ....

View my Photos
gatormaki

2011-03-29          177691

Sounds like the fuel pump alright. Here is the place I usually get parts. Surprisingly Deere is in line at $52. $46.85 here but as you will see you can break the pump apart and replace any or all the innards. Probably a .99c little rubber thing but as I mentioned- there a mess of parts. I would like to find a good electric pump as the vacuum pulse pumps can be really finnicky and cause a lot of weird running problems as they begin to go. ....

Link:   parts tree

View my Photos
gizardlizard

2011-03-29          177692

Way cool. I sure do appreciate the info. I will get one ordered and keep you informed. Thanks again ....

View my Photos
gatormaki

2011-03-29          177694

You're welcome.

BTW- Kawasaki 290's themselves are excellent industrial quality engines. As they're also pressure lubricated you can get an oil filter kit if it doesn't have one. Not necessary I guess unless you drive stuff to the boneyard which I do.

Lastly, make sure the idle doesn't creep up and cause grinding when you put it in gear. The transaxle is not something you want to fool with $ wise.

Good Luck. ....

View my Photos
gizardlizard

2011-04-05          177789

Hello again. Just wanted to post my findings. I put a new fuel pump on, but that did not fix my problem. Remembering that 9 out of 10 idling issues are carb related, I pulled the carb off again. It's a fixed jet carb, so with the exception of the main jet and one other, you can't remove any others to clean. I brought it into work and stuck it in our ultrasonic cleaner at 140 degrees for about 3 hours. I blew it out the best I could and put it on when I got home. INSTANTLY the problem was gone. The gator just purred and ran beautiful. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login