Go Bottom

John Deere 2007 Gator HPX Transaxle noises

View my Photos
bigknobbies
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-30          181837

First off - thanks to everyone who actively responds to posts helping us less Gator savvy people out. I took apart my carb this week and cleaned it out per the numerous other posts on this board and my 2007 HPX 4x4 does not bog from idle!

Now on to my new issue. I get done putting the carb back on and it fires right up and purrs like new. I back it out of the garage for a test drive. I put the shift lever in from R to D and I give it a little gas to test if the "bog" was gone. The bogging was gone but my Transaxle sounds like there are loose parts rattling around. It still works, shifts very smooth now, because I fixed the idle setting(thanks to posts on this board).

Where do I start? Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-31          181839

Does it have the snowmobile type clutch? With age those get louder because all the parts in them are getting looser. Does the noise go away once the clutch starts shifting? You will hear the noise mostly at idle. ....

View my Photos
bigknobbies

2012-01-01          181850

Treeman - thanks for the response. I spent some more time diagnosing the problem today. The chattering noise seems to be coming from the transaxle driven clutch. I took of the belt and it is in spec for width, the V-Part of the belt seems to be OK. There is a little wear on the belt, but nothing major. The belt also seemed to have a fair amount of slack in it when revving up and down. I will take the belt it tom my local JD Dealer and get their opinion. ....

View my Photos
bigknobbies

2012-01-05          181906

SO I put on a new belt and the problem has slightly diminished. It seems like the secondary clutch is out of balance. At idle speeds there is no noise/chattering - the noise/chattering/rattling get progressively louder as you increase throttle. It is like the one side of the secondary clutch is out of balance - similar to a tire being out of balance. at low speeds you don't notice it, but as you increase rotational speed it gets worse. ....

View my Photos
bigknobbies

2012-01-05          181907

I forgot to mention one more thing, when you initially hit the gas pedal there is a a slight hesitation or wiggling sensation - like the belt is slipping or the gears are not catching in the transaxle. After it starts moving it is gone, but the noise from the secondary clutch is still there. ....

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-01-05          181911

Is it possible you can put it on blocks and take the clutch cover off and run it? I use to do that with snowmobiles if I needed to see it shift through its range. Maybe the spring is broke or one of the nylon ramp slider buttons are missing or parts worn? ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2012-01-06          181912

The sheave is probably loose on the hub. The rivets loosen up on them and they rattle. I've actually seen all the rivets shear off and the sheave spin by itself. You need to take the belt off and open the clutch by hand to check it. Those clutches aren't much fun to take apart, you really need a press to do it. ....

View my Photos
bigknobbies

2012-01-06          181920

I had the rear up on jackstands and everything rolls smoothly with out anynoises. The noise is coming from the secondary clutch - the big one attached to the transaxle. It seems like the outermost metal disc is slightly bent. It you rotate it slowly and hold a screwdriver really close it will leave a mark on one small are and not the rest. At low RPM not a big deal, but when you increase RPM's it sounds like hell. The plastic clutch buttons are in tact and I just replaced the belt, so it must be the metal discs that the belt rides up and down on. ....

View my Photos
bigknobbies

2012-01-12          182043

UPDATE and RESOLUTION: The Secondary Clutch, the one connected to transaxle, had sheared some of the rivets, but not all of them. One clue was metal shavings and the ends of some of the rivets in the plastic tub that surrounds the drive belt. Not a cheap repair, $650 - but cheaper then a new primary clutch and transaxle.

Lessons Learned: When your plow or bumper is against an object that is too heavy, do not jam the gas to the floor. It will break the rivets on your secondary clutch. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login