Go Bottom

John Deere Gator How to start after submerging in water

View my Photos
bwater_gator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-04-09          183075

New to the site, so a little latitude would be helpful. And let me say I wish I had known about this site a long time ago!
Here's the issue. Swamped my gator crossing the creek yesterday evening. It was getting dark, so I just grabbed the tractor and pulled it out and back up to the house. The gator has been a real beast for me with over 2500 hours on it and normal maintenance at recommended intervals. So, given the fact I did swamp it, any suggestions on what I need to do to get it going again?
Many thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bwater_gator

2012-04-16          183177

BUMP... Anybody? ....

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-04-16          183183

What model Gator is it? ....

View my Photos
bwater_gator

2012-04-17          183198

I've got an older model TH 6x4. I can offer my serial number if that would help.

At this point, I've just been letting her dry out. Not much time to have done anything else. Plan of attack was to drain the engine and gas tank, change filters and plug, then give it a go.

Additionally, small world. Should have known a Kiwi would respond. My sister lives in KatiKati, although 300ks from you, but righ in the backyard of Tongariro. They had a bach in Turangi we used as a base to explore the park. Most beautiful part of the world, New Zealand is... ....

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-04-17          183201

Hi there - small world indeed!! We are situated fairly high up in the hills to the east of Taihape and we enjoy a huge view of tens of miles of rolling hills, valleys, etc with Mount Ruapehu dominating the skyline - and not another house in sight!! Self sufficient in most thing including electricity.
Back to Gators. The TH is the air cooled model, right? Mine is the earlier 6X4 liquid cooled Kawasaki engine model, but similar in most ways. Unless you sank it way down to the cargo bed, you probably won't have gotten water into the engine, but taking out the spark plugs and cranking the engine over should confirm this. The critical parts (apart from the engine)are probably going to be the ignition unit and some of the relays. Will the Gator crank over? If not, you probably have a malfunctioning relay.
You might even find that it will come right when it all dries out, but I'd definitely check for water in the engine asap. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-04-18          183215

Did you swamp it so deeply the tank would have gotten water in it? If you had cap on tank doubt you need to drain it.

Agree with drain fluids and filters and one thing you did not mention is with plug out turn the engine over just in case water is in the cylinder to prevent bent rods. But if running and it sucked water in probably damage done already there. Hope not. Maybe the electrical shorted out first. ....

View my Photos
bwater_gator

2012-04-19          183235

No, water was near top of the tires but not any higher. And it did short out first. Was planning to drain the gas tank as a precaution. Am getting after it this weekend, so hope to have more info, along with a running gator by Monday.

Many thanks for the comments and recommendations. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2012-04-19          183246

Working at a dealer, I had to repair sleds and atvs that went for a swim. Any engine cover you can easyly get off, do so and let it dry out. Moisture where your ign and charging coils are will corrode them much sooner. You wouldn't think much water would get in but when your engine quit, it cooled and sucked water in. Take a air hose to the end of any cable and blow out all the water and then use a cable luber to lube it. Open up any chain case and let it dry out. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2012-04-19          183247

Also, ck your air filter. Even if no water got in your fuel tank, some may have been sucked in your carb float bowl vent. Does your carb have a drain at the bottom? If it does, drain it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login