Go Bottom

John Deere Gator starts and stalls

View my Photos
6x4gator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-10-23          185273

I've had a 6x4 gator for 11 years. Over the weekend I took the tarp off it, it was dry, temperatures in high 50s. I choked it, and it started right up. I drove approximately 40 feet, shut it off and loaded some clippings & leaves in the bed. Started it, another 40 feet, shut off, more leaves & clippings. Bed was full so was going to compost pile to dump, got about 100 feet and it died. Sounded like I was out of gas. Checked the gauge, 3/8ths of a tank. I added another gallon to the tank any way. Choked it, started, sputtered and died. Tried several times but battery died. Charged battery for a while, tried again, started with choke, sputtered and died. I can hear the gas pump come on as I turn the key so I don't think the pump is shot. It needs a tune and I have new plugs but it just sounds like it's out of gas. Anyone have a suggestion for what to try?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-10-25          185309

Sounds like dirt in the carburettor. ....

View my Photos
6x4gator

2012-10-25          185310

I guess I should google how to get to and disassemble / clean the carburetor?

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-10-25          185311

Somewhere in this forum is a link to download the technical manual TM1518..... it will tell you everything you could ever want to know about your Gator.
Removing and cleaning the carburettor is actually a fairly straightforward job - when you know how. You will need a source of conpressed air. ....

View my Photos
6x4gator

2012-10-25          185312

Just went out to the machine. The gas filter is clean, the line from filter to pump is unobstructed, disconnected tube from carburetor and turned key to on position, pump moving lots of gas. Pulled front spark plug, looked very good for being 11.5 years (or more) old and verified spark by cranking engine, saw spark cross gap and arc to ground. Put plug back in, cranked with choke, one or two combustions then nothing. I have compressor in my shed next to Gator. Weather bad here, don't want to rip apart if it might rain so I'll leave until Saturday. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login