Go Bottom

Converting an old 4x2 Gator to electric

View my Photos
bferster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-07-21          190739

Converting an old 4x2 Gator to electric...
I'm trying to convert an old gas 4x2 gator to electric drive.
I'm debating how to connect the motor to the transmission. I could do it any one of 3 ways:

1. Remove the secondary clutch and use a chain drive to connect the motor and trans shafts.
2. Keep the secondary clutch and drive the cogged belt with the motor.
3. Keep the secondary clutch and drive the cogged belt with the old primary clutch to the motor.

Any thoughts on the best way?

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2015-03-02          192246

Did you have any luck? Just saw your post and have thought about doing the same with other utv's. I would recommend a true cogged belt, v-belt, or chain drive between your motor and the trans. If you know the top speed of your motor, you could work backward to arrive at appropriate pulley sizes or sprocket ratios to get an adequate top speed. (turn trans input shaft and count revs of the shaft to revs of the wheels, measure circumference of tires and calculate revs/mile, multiply x 60 (mins/hour) and that will tell you how many rpm/mph you need on the input shaft. then adjust your ratio to suit. electrics don't usually need a clutch or much gear reduction. The stock belt is made for the variable speed torque converter and it might be hard to get it to work as is. ....

View my Photos
ecoshop

2015-03-05          192287

Are you using the replacement motor for the gator TE ?
Where do you put the extra batteries needed?
I have a gator TS that needs a new motor.
If its possible I would like to try an electric one instead of a gas one ....

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2015-03-06          192294

I'm not too familiar with the TS. What is the voltage of the motor? If you mount the motor as close as possible to the trans, you should have a bit of room where the engine was. I think .i'd use a chain. You could almost adjust it with washers or shims or half links. A decent machine shop should be able to use your old driven clutch as a hub for a sprocket. If you don't use it too much between charges, you could use 12 volt deep cycle batteries in series to obtain proper voltage. Otherwise golf car batteries in series. Get a good charger sized for your battery bank, take care of the batteries and they'll last for years. I would avoid tying batteries together in parallel. Let us know about progress or challenges. ....

View my Photos
PaulChristenson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-03-06          192297

http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gator-general-discussion/1377-converting-gator-4x2-electric.html ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login