Go Bottom

01 Gator HXP 4x4 cranks will not start has fuel spark

View my Photos
jfieldy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-04-17          192580

Hopefully someone can help me with an 01 gator i am having serious issues with it.I have checked fuel,fire compression and the crank sensor all good i was going to check the voltage regulator as well as the cdi box or something like that but not sure how or what specs are suppose to be any input at all would be helpful at this point!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-04-18          192581

Sounds to me like this piece of equipment has been sitting for a LONG time. Try draining the fuel tank and carb. Refuel the gas tank with FRESH ethanol FREE gas. Then try dribbling just a small amount down the carb. throat, then attempt the start. You may have to do this a few times to get the engine to start. In the event the engine does NOT start, try removing the carb. fuel bowl or back fire solenoid (if equipped)and spray a good dose of brake or carb. cleaner into the fuel bowl through the back fire solenoid hole. THEN attempt the fuel dribble to the carb. and attempt a start. Again this may take a few attempts. Once you get the engine running, DO NOT shut it off. I recommend dumping a full can or at least a half can of Berryman's B12 carb. cleaner and run the entire batch of gas through the carb. to clean out the gum and crud that built up while in storage. Ask me how I know. ....

View my Photos
Nortske

2015-04-18          192588

I had a simialr problem. For starters, you need to know that Gators are "cold blooded". What the experts tell me -- that means they don't just jump out of bed and want to get to work. Once they start, they fart a little, grumble and grone, a lot of shake rattle and roll -- and than finally after a warm up period -- they will start to behave. NOW -- that describes a good one!

So if yours has sat for a while, a lot of varnish has built up, etc. I share many of Chiefs thoughts. Up here in the tundra (Wisconsin). we frequently use either in an aerosol can(sold as starting fluid). Mny a time a reluctant participant has been encouraged to join the working class by blasting some either into the carb's throat or into the air cleaner. You will probably at some point need to rebuild the carb

Good luck.
Nortske ....

View my Photos
jfieldy

2015-04-18          192589

i have taken the carb apart and cleaned it really good, and the fuel is new in it and i have sprayed carb cleaner in it and all it does after about thirty cranks is backfire and that doesnt even happen everytime it acts like its out of time. The problem with me thinking that is i done a compression test and it was right at 100 I have been told to check the cdi box but not sure how to do that and i was going to also check the voltage regulator as well any ideas? At this point Im lost so an overview its getting Fuel fire and compression ....

View my Photos
Nortske

2015-04-18          192590

I suggest that you try to narrow down the problem -- is it fuel, spark, timing, etc. The either cans work well for this. Spray some into the air cleaner, or carb throat and than try to start it. If it runs, or at least sputters -- than that points toward the carb (or fuel). If, with either being sucked into the engine and it just do something, than that points toward spark (ignition)

You mentioned voltage regulator -- as I recall -- I did replace the regulator on mine. But as I recall, it wasn't cheap!

Nortske

View my Photos
gatoraider

2015-04-20          192602

Sounds like ignition module to me. Down by the starter with one plug going into it. Pricey............... ....

View my Photos
jfieldy

2015-04-22          192633

are you talking about the coil which fires the plug or the cdi box i know the coil is good, it fires a thirty thousandths gap.if the ignition module is the cdi box does anyone know how to check it i have heard they have diodes in them but , back to gatoraider. the only thing down by the starter is the cdi box or thats what i was told its called i cant find any wiring diagrams or manuals for it i even have every part number on every component on the gator any ideas on how to check or an online wiring diagram i dnt have to pay for ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2015-04-22          192634

What you were told was a cdi box is an ignition module. ....

View my Photos
jfieldy

2015-04-26          192658

if what i am talking about is the ignition module where exactly is it and do you know how to check it and possibly a pic. because where the spark plug wire is connected to has resistance and am assuming that is called a coil on this then that goes to the pulse ring behind the crank and it has a sensor on it i am assuming is the same as a crank sensor and that is magnetic and has an ac voltage i cant remember exactly how much i just know a hall effect sensor produces ac and is magnetic all the ones i have ever seen when go bad no longer do then those wires go to what i was told to be a voltage regulator which is on the frame above and behind of the crank sensor that i wasnt sure how to check but it does have a dc voltage reading then those wires go down under the coil (or what produces the voltage to the plug) and on the bottm of the frame under the coil and and almost completely under the engine and that little box is what everyone has been telling me the cdi box is but i dont know how test it and everyone is telling me when they go bad it acts like its out of time the thing is i HAVE 100 compression, i have a spark that jumps 30 thousanths or better, i have fuel as well and will not hit a lick with starting fluid any ideas people ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2015-04-26          192659

What people are telling you is a cdi box is actually an ignition module. No way that I know of to test an ignition module. But because you have compression, spark and fuel tells me the module is bad. I think you said that it tried once or twice when you shut it off, kind of acting like it is out of time. You are getting spark, but at the wrong time. The module handles the timing also. You can have compression and fuel, but if you don't have spark at the right time they don't do anything for you. Bad thing about the module is it's electrical, costs 300.00 and you can't return it. ....

View my Photos
jfieldy

2015-04-29          192678

Since our last discussion I was extremely confused about how so many people could call this module a cdi or an ignition module and be so persistent on those answers! Lol, so among all of this investigation as I would call it I found out it is a capacitive discharge ignition module which does keep it in time, but I found a lot of test that I have found were helpful. At this point I have decided to start completely over because my constituents must have or myself must have missed something stay tuned for an update lol! ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-04-29          192679

Does your HPX have a single barrel or 2 barrel carburetor? I am thinking that you have the 2 barrel carburetor version. If so, there is an anti-backfire solenoid on the carburetor mounted on the bottom of the fuel bowl. I have one on my Kawasaki Pa540 in an F525 that I just got done troubleshooting to hell and back twice. Once because the mower had set for 2 years and the gas went bad causing gummy deposits in the carburetor and on the anti-backfire solenoid. The solenoid is designed cut fuel OFF to the carburetor once the ignition key is turned OFF. If the solenoid is all gummed up with crud from bad gas, it cannot open and allow gas to enter the carburetor. I removed my solenoid, cleaned with some brake cleaner spray and it fired right up. The second time I had to troubleshoot it was when I was testing it and trying to run all of the bad gas out of the tank. I ran over some old weeds and they got caught on the anti-backfire solenoid wire and the mower died on the spot. I thought I ran it out of gas. It would start each of both times if I trickled a little gas down the carburetor throat but would not continue to run. After MUCH swearing and the dictionary of foul language I decided to check the carburetor to see if it was getting gas.......guess what I found????? The anti-backfire solenoid wire had been pulled off the solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor. I hooked it back up and it fired right up.

Hope this helps you save some hair, use of foul language, frustration, and time. Good luck! :) ....

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2015-04-30          192680

Does your gator have a Kawi v-twin like my old mule? I recently had to replace the plastic cam gear on mine. If yours has the plastic one (new ones are steel), it may have skipped a tooth or stripped many teeth as happened to mine. Replacement, at least on the mule, is actually pretty easy. I would suggest pulling at least one rocker cover and checking valve movement and relationship to TDC. If the cam has stopped with valves closed on one cylinder, this can make it seem like it has compression. If the engine cranks but the valves don't go up and down, you've found your problem. If you need to change cam gear let us know.

View my Photos
mrducks

2015-05-12          192766

Just had the exact same issue as you are having. In fact I took my gator into the dealership and they said that my engine needs replaced. I had no issues with the gator before it was stored for the winter. Tried to start the gator in the early spring and battery was dead, replaced the battery. Still would not start. Changed spark plugs, nothing, cracked the fuel line and was getting fuel. Nothing wrong with the air intake. I order the ignition module from Gator Parts Store part #AM132577 John Deere Module is the description. It bolts on with 2 10mm bolts and plugs in to a wiring harness. The gator started right up. The JD mechanic said it cannot be the ignition module, "those never go bad and there is know way to test them, it's not the module". I am so glad I read an earlier post that said the mechanics would say that, he did! Any way, hope this helps. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login