Go Bottom

1999 Gator Transmission Leaking

View my Photos
grandpasteve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-11-25          197286

Hello - I'm new to this site so I hope I'm posting this question in the correct area. The transmission on my 1999 6x4 gator completely drains after adding fluid. It appears that it's coming out of the bottom of the passenger side of the transmission. I can see there are 3 or 4 nuts on this lower section and it looks like I could pull the cover off and slide outwards towards the wheel. Is it possible to install a new gasket here or does the entire transmission need to be removed and split? In calling the JD dealer, I was informed there isn't a gasket which I find unusual. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first Gator and I just got everything running.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2017-11-26          197287

Since you implied that the case drains as fast as you fill it and that you just got it all together I would bet you have a large hole in the bottom of the case caused by rot from something caustic to aluminum such as salt or manure which is or has been in direct contact with the case for a long time. At any rate you have to remove the transaxle to work on or inspect it. No easy way to do it. ....

View my Photos
grandpasteve

2017-11-27          197288

Thanks Gatoraider
Since I picked the gator up in Kentucky and it was more than likely used on a cattle farm, I'm betting it was manure that caused the issue.
Can you tell me if there is a half shaft type setup on each side that will slide out from the transmission once the tires and everything are removed?
Any instructions from experience would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2017-11-28          197290

Easiest way to do it is split the cases. The half shafts will stay in each side. When you split it, take all the bolts out around the case halves and turn the unit so the input shaft is facing you. If you do it that way everything will stay in the one side after you pull the other side off. ....

View my Photos
grandpasteve

2017-12-10          197318

Thanks for the information
I'm going to give it a shot :) ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login