Go Bottom

Starter won t disengage

View my Photos
bogman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2018-01-09          197363

4020 JD After cranking sometimes you can hear the starter motor still running and you have to jump off and pull a wire off the battery to get it to stop. Even if you kill the tractor it will still run. I thought it might be a sticking solenoid so I took the starter off and hooked all the wires back to it and tried it. It works perfectly. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Starter won t disengage

View my Photos
PaulChristenson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2018-01-09          197364

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1245950 ....

Starter won t disengage

View my Photos
bogman

2018-01-10          197368

Thanks Paul, I tried to do a search for the forum but couldn't find that thread. That fellow was having the exact same thing happening with his starter. I'm going to try what he did. ....

Starter won t disengage

View my Photos
bogman

2018-01-12          197373

Just a follow up. The thread that Paul found had several possibilities for the starter continuing to run after starting. I tried the easiest fix first and so far so good. That was the suggestion that a poor ground could cause it. I made sure my wires were clean and reinstalled the starter. I started it several times in a row and then the next day several times with no problems. Thanks again Paul. And by the way I again searched the forum and that thread does not come up. What did you put in the search box to find it? ....

Starter won t disengage

View my Photos
PaulChristenson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2018-01-12          197376

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman | view 197373
Just a follow up. The thread that Paul found had several possibilities for the starter continuing to run after starting. I tried the easiest fix first and so far so good. That was the suggestion that a poor ground could cause it. I made sure my wires were clean and reinstalled the starter. I started it several times in a row and then the next day several times with no problems. Thanks again Paul. And by the way I again searched the forum and that thread does not come up. What did you put in the search box to find it?

I remembered that the thread possibly covered your problem and then searched (4020 starter won't disengage) via Google which led me back to yesterdays tractors...:) ....

Starter won t disengage

View my Photos
bogman

2018-01-12          197377

Ah, I just copied and pasted the url and didn't even notice that it was on the yesterdays tractors site. Man you have a great memory.:)

Go Top

Share This

Member Login