Go Bottom

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
Shane in OH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-17          12043

Does anyone know of an alternative to the suitcase weights sold by JD dealers directly. At $40/weight ($240 for all 6), it seems they are making a hefty profit. Any other options (like aftermarket weights), or do I have to bite the bullet?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-01-18          12046

You don't say what size tractor you have, but I will assume it is a compact. We have in stock aftermarket JD suitcase weights that would fit your tractor. They run $30.00 ea, but any savings would proably be eaten up by shipping charges on something this heavy unless you are close and can pick them up. The other alternative is to go to a salvage yard and find something heavy to bolt to the front end (like a piece of railroad track). Scrap steel can usually be bought by the pound. If we can help contact Affordable Equipment Inc. Easley, SC 864-859-2623. ....

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-01-18          12050

I was sort of curious about this so I called our local steel supplier. 1" thick flat stock runs about 40 pounds/square foot. 1x12 sells for $15.25/ft and 1x6 runs $7.00/ft. They also charge a 1 hour minimum to cut at $60/hr (which I think is steep) Still I would bet you could beat the JD price pretty easily just by buying the cut steel from a local supplier. Depending on your set up also you might be able to have them cut some of the mounting divots since you are paying for an hour of plasma cutting anyway.

Good Luck

Kim Hartshorn ....

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-01-18          12058

How much do the JD suitcase weights weigh. I checked the local salvage yard & the weights the had were around 75lbs at $50.00 each. This included several makes. I did find 2 old what they said were Ford weights that fit perfect on my JD 4400 R4 rims. They weighed 125 lbs each. Chris ....

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-01-18          12059

The weights were for the rear rims. Chris ....

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
Shane in OH

2000-01-18          12074

Thanks for the suggestion, but let me clarify that I am looking for SUITCASE weights for my 790, not wheel weights. The JD ones weigh 40 lbs each. ....

Suitcase Weights

View my Photos
James Q. (Joe) Smith

2000-01-19          12114

Shane, I purchased five JD suitcase weights from my local JD dealer for 29.00 each (40lbs). That said, I had a 770 prior to purchasing my 790, on it I used a ft weight from a 4020. You will have to fabricate a bracket and attach it to the holes on the weight bracket. I used a 3/8 bar stock and drilled four holes, two to match the holes in the bracket and two to match the mounting slots on the weight. I then took a can of JD green spray paint and painted the assemble to match the new tractor. Looks nice, if done correctly, and doesn't detract from the looks of the tractor. Not as easy to install/remove as the suitcase weights but a lot cheaper. Should you elect to use this method, check with some of the local farmers or tractor sales. Farm auctions are also a good place to find them. By the way, a 4010/4020 weight, weighs 120lbs, you shouldn't need more than two ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login