Go Bottom

John Deere 4100 tire switch from turf to R4

View my Photos
amckenas
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-19          136056

I have a 4100 with turf tires that I want to convert to R4 tires. I am having trouble finding where the correct size tires/rims is documented. Currently I have R4 tires with 16.5 rims for the rear that I bought on Ebay which I think are correct but what should go in the front?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-19          136064

If your tractor is a front wheel assist then you must maintain the correct sizes between front and rear to keep your drive ratio correct between the front and rear to avoid driveling bind up or possible damage. I think the normAL what they call "LEAD SPEED" of the front axle is 2 or 3 percent greater than the rear. Without the front wheel lead or with a slight rear wheel lead you will have a tractor that wanders and is didfficult to steer while using the front wheel assist. Your most likely source of the correct tire sizes would be from a JD dealer or perhaps a farm tire shop may have a chart to help you out. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-19          136065

If you tell me exactly what size tires you have on those 16.5 rims, I can tell you which R-4 front to use. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-20          136116

Something I thought of after I posted yesterday. For some reason the same size tires in different brands are hardly ever identical in dimension, so it likely would work out better to use the same brand on both the front and rears. Frank. ....

View my Photos
amckenas

2006-10-20          136118

The R4 rear tires I purchased on Ebay were Carlisle brand size 12/16.5NHS. My local dealer decided the old front tires would work but putting R4 tires on the front would be much better. The R4 front tire size apparently should be 23/8.50x12 although I still haven't seen it in writing anyplace! I found an on-line dealer with a good price for R4 Carlisle tires for the front: http://mgrassroots.com/index.html $63 each for 6-ply plus $21 shipping. Hopefully the tire combination will work ok. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-20          136133

Do you have the owners manual? It should list the right tire combos. If not, I can send you a PDF.

My tests have shown the front/rear drive ratio on my 4100 Gear was 1.5 to 1

The same test on my 4115 HST showed 1.53 to 1

What does that mean? It means the front wheels.....in 4wd..... are turning 1.5 times every time the rear wheels turn once. Or you could say that the rear wheels only turn 66 percent of one turn for every complete revolution of a front tire.

Your R-4 rear tires are probably about 103 inches around. So 103 x .66 = 68 inches around for a front tire. This is the "zero lead" diameter or minimum size.

Your tractor is supposed to have a 0 to 5 percent lead on the front axle, meaning it should turn slightly faster than the rear axle.

68 inches x 1.05 = 71.4 inches. So if your rears tape out at 103 inches, any front tire that tapes from 66 to 71 inches would work OK.

View my Photos
scooterdp

2007-11-13          148167

All a quick question. I own a JD 4100 and am looking to change out the turf tires... retarded tires if you want to use the tractor for ranching. If I swap to the thinner tires, am I also going to need to replace the rims. I spoke the the Deere dealer here and they said that I would probably need new rims. So, I was looking a fairly large chunk of change to switch to the better tires.

I was wanting to run Ag tires. Agricultural (AG) tires are the traditional tractor tires. The AG tire is tall and narrow with deep cleats, designed for maximum traction; pulling plows in a field, working in the woods and operating in muddy conditions. These tires can damage a lawn or field.

Thanks for any help.

Eric ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-13          148171

Scooterdp; Yes you are most likely to need rims and all. Most any farm tire repair shop has access to new rims that can sometimes be less costly than thru a Deere dealer. You likely would have to paint them tho. Another option if time is not pushing is to contact some Deere outlets that are in a very urban setting where most CUT's are sold with turf tires, he may have a used tractor with R-4's that he may be wiling to swap tires, rins and all. Good luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-13          148176

You should be able to locate a set of 16 inch aftermarket rear wheels fairly easily as they are pretty much standard in terms of bolt pattern and offset.

The front rims will have to come from Deere or from a parted-out older grey market Yanmar. They are very narrow between the beads and carry a metric bolt pattern.

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-13          148178

Or.......you could go with these Bad Boys.

I am thinking that your turfs are on 15 inch rims??? ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-13          148180

And something like this for those wide front rims???? ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
scooterdp

2007-11-17          148373

I was hoping that I would be able to just put new tires on the old rims... The turf tires don't do so well in the snow or pulling a disc.

Thanks anyways.

E ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-17          148375

Just to make sure we are on the same sheet of music......

The tires I posted in the links will fit your present rims. Just wanted to make that clear.

The Mickey Thompsons may not be true AG ties but they are about as close as you can get and they are radials which really adds to the inherent traction. ....

View my Photos
scooterdp

2007-11-25          148719

On my 4100, how much of an issue is it if I put the rear tires on with the valve stem inside? I read on another blog that this is what someoneelse did to keep the back tires from rubbin on the lift arms.

I believe that I would get two benefits from this; 1) the durn tires would not rub and 2) I would be able to put the chains on the rear tires. The chains that I bought from John Deere do not work as of ritht now, the jam between the tire and frame.

Thanks for any input ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-25          148732

That is usually not a problem for this model unless...... you are using implements that are too big, or..... you have your spacers in the wrong sequence on the lift arm mounting bar.

What type of tires are you running? ....

View my Photos
amckenas

2007-11-26          148737

I found the correct rims with r4 tires for the rear by doing an Ebay search (you register the search and they email any hits). They were brand new take-offs and reasonably priced. I found inexpensive R4 front tires from a Chinese importer(I don't recall the site but try searching).

One note- they had to cut the old tires off the front rims because they were filled with some sort of foam! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login