Go Bottom

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
bvinduck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-12          136837

What are the pro's and con's of having weighted rear tires. Is it better to just add an attachment or a weight box when using the FEL? FYI- I drive on sand a lot.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-12          136839

I use both. I live on a sand dune and my rear wheel weights are indispensable.

Every tractor is different, mine works well with 150 lbs on each wheel AND 400 lbs on the three point hitch. ....

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
MacDaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-13          136852

I use and recommend both as well... especially if you plan on carrying a lot of weight in your FEL. ....

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-11-13          136855

The CON, you have the weight all the time. If you drop off the FEL for such as mowing you still have the weight. ....

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-13          136864

Kenny before I put in my 2-cents worth---what's a CON (Carolinian On Narcotics)?

And, I need to know what you are saying about the weight being there---do you mean the physical weights are still there or the amount of weight is there with or without the loader?

This IS a test. So let's see how (yankee) science and physics stands up to redneck "well I think so, so therefore it mus' be" hahahaha

Your turn, Sire... errr Paw Paw.

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
bvinduck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-13          136866

First, thanks for your input. Now, I'm a little confused. My thoughts where the lighter the tractor the best it would do in the sand. I do mow once a week, which I do remove the FEL. On the flip side, I probably use the FEL two or three times a week.. I thought about let the "liquid" in the rear tire- plus- have a lower air pressure. I don't know the what this would do- more good than bad or work great... Oh yeah I have R4 tires. ....

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-13          136868

I do a lot of grading with a 6' box blade and a 33hp, 4x4 New Holland on the Gulf Coast. Anything from beach sand to black sand. No rear weights, only front weights (no loader), and R4's all around. R4's are by design stiff walled so lowering air pressure isn't that effective--plus you'll easily take it off the rim. And you will introduce driveline bind-up by effectively changing the gear ratios front to back in 4 wheel drive. What is important is floatation--the wider the tire the better; and unlike squarish R4's, the more round the better like a turf tire. Reason being the moving sand ahead of the tire is similar to water breaking ahead of a boat. A flat-front boat has more resistance to breaking water. And the weight distribution and floatation is different how it reaches the surface. An R4 tends to take a steam-roller effect in the sand, which will slow you down and reduce traction.

When I have to grade beach sand I wet it down or do it the morning before the dew burns off.

But going back to the weight and a loader (KT hasn't taken his test yet so I shouldn't reveal the answer) but IMHO weight can be offest by floatation--however, the loader places added weight on the front wheels through leverage, which takes weight off the rear end, where you need to take advantage of available floatation. ....

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-13          136869

I guess there is sand and then there is sand hills.

I have some pretty steep slopes I operate on and my 4115, and the two tractors before it, had to be run in 4wd all the time without the weights.

The weights make so much difference that I don't need 4wd 90-95 percent of the time.

I have some different ideas about tires and that makes a lot of difference too....

Weight in rear tires

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-11-13          136870

I feel that weighted rear tires are more or less a permanent approach for increased traction. I have fluid filled tires on one tractor that has a backhoe on it 100% of the time.

With a backhoe you need all the weight you can get on the stabilizers. The only other alternative in that situation is to have rear wheel weights.

If you are mowing lawns on flat terrain, the less the tractor weight the better. Anytime you attach the FEL and plan to use it to its capabilities, suggest mounting a rear blade as I do or rear weights.

Being the rear tires are larger in diameter than the front, rolling resistant is not as critical as in the front. A tractor with FEL and small narrow front tires will do as earthworks has mention and not float. The larger the tire, the less rolling resistance it has. A wide front tire gives more floatation. Both of these factors help and no doubt that a big wide front tire is the best. Us Yankees know that a two wheel drive pickup will go further in the snow with large narrow tires. If the tractor does not have enough weight or ballast it will spin on the top surface of the sand.

If you are mowing lawn on uneven terrain, some rear weight may be good if you are driving up severe inclines. Weight on the front will cause the tires to scuff the lawn when making sharp turns. Likewise if mowing in 4WD and making sharp turns, the front tires will scuff.

When I plow, I'm in 4WD and want optimum traction. I have the FEL on front to provide traction on the front and have weights for the rear tires. If you have a big enough tractor with lots of weight you don't need 4WD.

If you are pulling a trailer on hilly terrain and making sharp turns you want weight front and back so the pullee don't become the puller. Speed Kills! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login