Go Bottom

Brakes pulling to one side JD4300

View my Photos
markpee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-18          138169

So, I have another question. Sorry to be such a pain with all the questions, but I've had great luck with all the people on this board so far. Plus, that what this is for, right?

So I noticed that intermittenly one of my rear wheels, I think the right, spins a little faster than the left. This causes the tractor to crawl sideways slightly. Based on my research in the tech manual, it seems like the brakes are off. My question is, when checking brake problems such as this, what is usually the culprit, and how easy to rectify? I see that the problem can be an adjustment to a complete brake overhaul.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-19          138174

Markpe; I haven;t had your problem with my 4310, but I think an easy way to check for brake drag would be to jack your tractor up one rear wheel at a time then with the motor off and the A,B,C lever in neutral roll the rear wheels by hand. You should feel some gear drag, but a brake drag might not let you roll the wheel. Do both sides to compare. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-19          138185

Markpee,
When does your right tire spinn faster? It would seem to me only when the tires are slipping you would see such. I thought it was normal for one drive tire to spin at least some faster than the other unless you had a locked axle. Is that wrong? I have seen in manual one of the uses for the diff. lock was to prevent that to keep tractor straight across a field. Seems strong to me. The diameter of the tires would also affect you if they both were at the exact same rpm and any difference in diameter then you go sideways also.

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-19          138191

On my 750 the pads seemed to where faster on one side than the other. If I adjusted the linkages the same one brake would drag. I had to do what Frank suggests periodically to get the brakes adjusted correctly. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-19          138193

Peters, in using a tractor I find that I like to turn to the right and will all things being equal. I try to not stay in that rut for one reason, wearing out the right brakes faster.

Does this tractor have dry or wet brake? Is it possible there is a spring that does not pull the brake pedal back sufficient? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-19          138195

The machanical linkage is miles longer on the left than right. I normally had the brake pedals tied together, but the left tended to wear sooner. I am not sure the differential is competely centered so maybe one has greater torque.

It has dry brakes and is essentially the same as the JD 790. It might have been the springs. I was happy to go to the wet brakes and hydro. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-19          138196

I realize a lot of changes have happened, the only dry brakes I have had experience with never lasted nor seemed to fully release. Could have been due to being old and springs loosing tension.

Interesting point on the diff. not being centered possibly affecting wear. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login