Go Bottom

Batteries for JD 4600

View my Photos
bvinduck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-07          139626

I would like to give everyone option - buy JD strongbox battery or go with an off name brand?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Batteries for JD 4600

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-07          139633

Bvinduck,

I do not know what you mean by off name brand. Just because it says JD does not mean anything where batteries are concerned. Any good battery with the proper amps and voltage will be just fine. Will it fit in the battery case on your tractor? Will the leads fit on the battery post. What does the manual require? You get what you pay for. Mine cost 85 dollars and has lasted for 3 years. The battery my tractor came with was junk from China. I told the guy at the auto parts store what I had for a tractor, he looked in a couple of books and said that was the unit I needed. If it does not work bring it back. Luck or by desgin you make the call.

good luck ....

Batteries for JD 4600

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-07          139634

I VERY strongly recommend that you pay the extra bucks and purchase a sealed battery that meets the amperage and size requirements for your 4600. The reason being that, standard lead acid cap vented batteries vent acid fumes which are then drawn into the transmission oil cooler and radiator causing terrible corrosion problems especially with hot weather use. If you shop around, you can find various brand batteries that fill this need. ....

Batteries for JD 4600

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-02-07          139636

I'm with Chief. I'd look for an AGM battery that won't vent fumes or leak, something like an Optima if you can find one that fits. Since tractors have no suspension batteries take a beating and some batteries are prone to internal breakage when in rough service. ....

Batteries for JD 4600

View my Photos
JWarrell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-07          139638

I have a JD 4300 year 2000. Within the first year my battery developed some corrosion at the positive terminal and under the battery. I cleaned and repainted the area, bought an equivalent Delco Freedom battery, made a new hold down device. The battery went in in 2000. Jan. 7th, 2007, still going strong. I didn't go to the dealer because the replacement would have been the same leaky type that was removed. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login