Go Bottom

JD 2320 - What attachment is best for grading a gravel road

View my Photos
johnrmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-06          140251

I'm new to tractors. Purchased a JD 2320 with JD200X Loader, JDLX4 Rotary Mower, JD647 Rotary Tiller and a few little things.

I'd like to grade a gravel road, but I'm not sure what attachment would be best? Any suggestions?

Also looking for a 12" auger that would work with the JD 2320.

Thank you. This site has been a huge help. Thanks again.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-07          140257

Johnrmeyer; First welcome to the site, we try our best to help one another out here, I'm sure you have some expertise that you can help the rest of us with when we are stumped on things you are more familiar with than we are. If the soil, gravel, crushed rock are in a loose condition my personal favorite is a landscape rake over a common rear blade, you will be amazed at what a nice job it will do and you will quickly become adept at what angles to set it for the best results. The common three point hitch rear mount blade gives people the impression that it will cut into hard unworked soil, unless it is real sandy or some other form of naturally loose soil they will just skip along the surface and do basicly nothing unless you somehow loosen the soil beforehand with another impliment like a tiller, a scarifier, or some soil penetrating tool. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
johnrmeyer

2007-03-07          140262

Thank you, Frank, for the welcome and excellent suggestion. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-07          140264

Just as a follow up on Franks suggestion.

If the road is really hard and needs some serious working over, take the bolts out of the cross-member and flip over every other tooth (so they are sticking up not down) from the rake and then bolt it back up. Adding a couple of concrete blocks (set down over the up-turned tines) will make it work even better.

By using half as many teeth, you are effectively applying twice the downward force, making them bite in better, like a scarifier does.

Once you've loosened up the surface this way, you can then put the teeth back, remove the blocks and level and smooth it all nicely.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
johnrmeyer

2007-03-07          140265

Thank you, Murf. This site is awesome!

P.S. I have 7 acres of soft and loomy soil. So far I haven't found any rocks (Sacramento River Valley area) Thank you again! ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-07          140271

The amount a rear mounted 3 point hitch blade will cut into any dirt will vary with how hard the dirt is but also the weight of the blade and the angle it is set at. A heavy blade set at an angle will cut into dirt that a lighter blade set straght will just slide over. Look at how motor graders set their blades on hard packed dirt roads. A landscape rake will level even dirt and move more of it than you would think. If you have roots or stumps of size, move slow with a blade.

As has been said very well, welcome. kt ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-03-08          140297

If your gravel drive is not hard packed a heavy chain harrow will do a fine job.

That is what I use on my gravel drive just over the hill from you. ....

View my Photos
johnrmeyer

2007-03-08          140303

Thank you all very much for your assistance. What a great place! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-09          140328

I maintain a mile-long private road using a 33HP blue with a 6' power rake (aka Harley rake). It will go down about 6" in one pass to homogenize or fluff the crushed stone. Then I smooth it out with a 6' box blade--before anyone has a chance to drive over it and pack it down again. After that a slight grooming with the box blade will keep it nice for about a year. (I have a Galion road grader with a 10' moldboard also, but it doesn't do half as nice a job since it tends to roll or windrow the big pieces of stone. Yes Murf, it's probably "the operator" LOL. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-03-09          140330

"Yes Murf, it's probably "the operator"."

Hmmm, and here I was going to suggest there might be a mechanical problem with the Galion......

Like it had a loose nut behind the wheel. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-09          140331

So THAT'S it! DOH! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-10          140343

JohnMeyer; I was just catching up on the latest posts on TP, and noticed that none of us answered your question about a 12 inch auger. I had a TSC three point PTO auger for a while, but finally sold it before someone got hurt with it. I consider it as probably the most danerous attachment sold today. I'm am not critisizing TSC in particular as I don't think I've seen any other brand that I would consider any safer than theirs. So if you do buy one be extra carfull and never work alone with it, PLEASE. Enjoy your day and keep safe. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login