Go Bottom

3120 vs 3320

View my Photos
Nathan_OR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-13          140421

I'm trying to figure out which of these two I'd rather own. The only differences I can see are 3 extra HP and the PowerReverser. Otherwise they seem exactly the same, even I test drove the 3120 with eHydro and it was great... is there a reason the PowerReverser is preferred? Is there some other difference?

Thanks,
Nathan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3120 vs 3320

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-13          140422

My current 4310 is my 3rd. Deere compact, all with Power Reversers. The hydros will give you an infinite choice of speeds where as the Power Reverser has fixed speeds in each of 12 forward or reverse choices.
The hydro will cost more than the power reverser so it is a trade off in dollars for convienience. Far as I know each are nearly bullet proof. I really like the shuttle of the reverser for loader work, but the same can be done with a hydro. My personal opinion is that the hydro just isn't worth the extra cost for what more it can do for you. I can hear the hydro boys allready on the keyboard defending their machines, let them tell you why you need a hydro tnen it just comes down to what ever you like and are most comfortable with. Best of luck. Frank. ....

3120 vs 3320

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-13          140423

I just thought of another issue dealing with Deere transmission choices. From what I can understand from their build and price feature on the Deere website, they are going the route of the automakers and packaging options. When I ordered my cuirent 4310 I wanted the 12/12 reverser with a mid PTO. If I understand their build and price feature correctly you have to order an E-hydro to get a mid PTO. Kinda sniffs of marketing stratagey to sell options you really don't need. I had kind of toyed with the idea of trading my 4310 for a 3520 but for the above reason of no mid PTO with out the hydro, I'm just not in the market, I like mine just fine. Their marketing gimmick to drain more bucks out of a customer just plain back fired with me. Let's hear it from the defenderds of the Deeres, I'm big enough to stand the heat. Enough sounding off from me for now. Frank. ....

3120 vs 3320

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-13          140425

There's nothing wrong with any of them, but I like my hydro quite a bit. When maneuvering in crowded areas, like in the woods, the infinite speed is really nice. I think the 3300 series also offer LoadMatch with the hydros, which is convenient since it modulates the transmission to prevent stalling under heavy load and is great for working with changing load conditions (heavy load and dump work). But I wouldn't kick a gear drive tractor out of the shop. If anyone else in the family will be driving a hydro would likely be easier to use too. ....

3120 vs 3320

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-14          140438

Nathan,

The 3120 comes with a 91 ci. 3TNV82A Yanmar and the 3320 comes with the 100 ci 3TNV88 Yanmar engine which is virtually the same as came in my 4410 which came with the 3TNE88 engine. The power increase is in the 10% range difference. In my opinion, the key here is that both engines are naturally aspirated. The 3120 will likely do just about all the 3320 can for the most part and when measured against cost between the two, the 3120 in my opinion would be the better bargain.

Were the decision mine; and considering the validity of a step up in power, I would be looking at the 3520 or 3720. Both of these models come with turbo charged 3TNV84T at 37 hp & about 30 pto hp, and 3TNVHT toping out at 44 hp with about 35 pto hp.

35 to 45 pto hp is generally the sweet spot for pto equipment and hp to drive it. The turbo will ensure you get specified hp no matter the temp or pressure altitude. the naturally aspirated engines will continually loose hp as pressure altitude increases. Whether or not you need or will use this much hp depends upon the uses you have in mind. The 3720 come only with eHydro. The other offer a choice of 12/12 ePowerReverser or eHydro. I have the eHydro and it has performed well and really speeds up mowing and bush hogging as you can reverse direction without stopping to clutch and shift. HOWEVER I still have my doubts or reservations about how well all of the electronic bells and whistles will hold up over time.......say 20 years which is a very conservative figure for a tractor life time. So far everything works but I have only 350 hours on the tractors. Will it be the same store at 3,350 hours?????? I sure hope so. Any future tractors I purchase will be much more basic and designed for lasting reliability but that will likely be an ag tractor. I am currently borrowing a John Deere 4040 which although kinda rough around the edges from age and use still pulls a 15 ft. bat wing rotary cutter just fine.

Perhaps you could expand upon the uses you will put the tractor to. I have NO doubt you will find ANY of the 3000 series machines a joy to own and operate. Just be sure to match the right tool to the task and leave youself some fudge factor. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login