Go Bottom

Pulling stumps w JD 447 backhoe

View my Photos
dbkuhn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-02          140963

I am looking at a used JD 4410 and I was hoping someone had some first hand experience using a 447 backhoe on a similar tractor. I have the option of swapping out the 447 for the 448 but there is additional cost and I'm trying to decide if I really need it. Pulling stumps is about the most demanding task I have. most are about 20" but a few would be 24-26". Has anyone with a 447 tried using it on stumps like this and if so can you give me your feedback?

My concerns about going with the 448 are 1) additional cost but 2) I've read several stories about the 448 damaging the tractor because it is too powerful. Between these two issues I'd prefer not to go with the 448 unless I really need it.

Thanks for the input!
Brad

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-03          140971

Even the 448 is going to be streched to the limit with 20 inch stumps. Yes there are stories about the Deere 47 thru 448 hoes breaking everything from center housings to rear axle housings. I have a 4310 and a 48 hoe for it, I've never had any problems even the rear wheel lug bolts that were a problem for some have never caused me any trouble. Deere does now have a frame strenghting kit for the 4XXX series tractors that use their backhoes. I've ordered one for mine just as a safety measure against a possible future problem. I spoke with the dealer tech. in charge of small tractor/Lawn and garden equipment service. he had never heard of a tractor or axle housing being broken because of a Deere backhow being on the tractor. Remember there are people who could get a bucket full of eggs over 10 miles of washboard roads without breaking one, and other people who could break an anvil just by looking at it. 99% of that kind of damage involves harsh operation or using a machine for a purpose for which it was never designed. Anyhow get the 448, and the frame kit just to be on the safe side. Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-03          140972

If you have a number of them to pull, I'd suggest renting a dozer. I'd be concerned with using a backhoe and pushing it too hard causing some major damage to the tractor. I don't have the Deere model you're talking about but know if you use time and patience you can get them out.

I work around the periphery of the stump and break out the shallow root system a couple of feet from the stump and work my way around. Once complete, I start at the loosest point and begin to roll it over. That is a time consuming method of doing it, but it works without busting things.

It sure was nice in the old days when you could go to the local hardware and get a case of dynamite. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-04          141020

You probably cannot pull the stumps directly with this size hoe.

What you can do is break up the roots in a circle around the stump and then put a chain on the biggest piece of root and use the tractor to spin the stump in place.

It will twist it right out of the ground.

Time consuming? Yup. But dozers are expensive and most folks have more time than money. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-04          141024

DBK,
if you don't have many and following the suggestions given you are not able to pull the stump after digging around one or two, leave it open to dry and then burn it out (pile up a lot of dry wood around it). This does take time for the stump to dry out. But an option if only one or two. kt ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-05          141042

A 20" stump is gonna give you a 8' diameter hole. You'll end up with a root/stump ball 5'+.

The wet root ball is gonna be a real bear to move with a 44 size tractor. I have taken out several 24-30" pine. The tap root is almost impossible to break. The 48 hoe on the 44 tractor will not move a 5' wet root ball unless you really beat the crap out of the tractor to do it. If you beat it with the hoe and move the tractor to force it you will or may overpressure the hyd lines and blow them or bend cylinder rods.

I clean (lightly file edge do not sharpen) up the cutting edges of the bucket to cut the roots easier. Dig 3 sides of it cutting the roots as close as possible, usually 2' from stump sometimes closer, let it sit for a week or 2 and come back rattle the snot out of the stump shaking off dry loose soil.

At that point I get up close to stump, work the back side with bucket curl and boom lift. I have had to use a axe on the tap root if I could not break it or pry it loose.

My 48 hoe will turn the root ball over then. The 47 should also do the same the only major difference is the reach. Stumps require up close and very personal. The 47 should do fine.

TAKE YOUR TIME! IT IS WORK YOU JUST HAVE TO DO RATHER THAN WORK ON THE HONEY DO LIST! Spending 5-8 hours on a stump/s, on a warm spring day, with a couple of breaks is always better than spending 2-3 hours inside putting away winter things or helping clean windows, or the rest of the stuff on the list.

It also justifies buying the BH to start with. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-05          141045

Reading some of this reminds me of a stump removal method a friend told me his dad used. He cut off the trees, planted peanuts around the stumps and turned hogs loose after the peanuts matured. They would root up the ground for the peanuts, loosening the dirt and stump. This was many years ago. Guess if you could get squirrels to bury acorns around the stumps that would work also.

Going back to the axe, I have known of people digging a hole large enough to cut the stump off a couple of feet below ground level. Some pines here can grow a major tap root. Not sure how safe that is, to be in hole with a stump being cut loose and you not sure how it will move when it is cut loose. kt ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-05-17          142170

Dear friends,

Many years ago, after my uncle had passed away, we were digging through his old welding shop and found something that nobody seemed familiar with.

It was a long steel tube (high pressure steel pipe?) about 18 inches in diameter, and five feet long, with large saw teeth cut into one end. On the outer edge of this steel tube there were three pieces of 1/4" steel, shaped like a propeller, or maybe a better way to describe this would be to compare it to the fins found on the agitator of your washing machine.

On the other end of this steel tube was a long handle welded across the end, forming a "T".

So what we have here looks much like a huge hole saw with a T handle as would be used on a cork screw.

When we started asking around, some of the local people told us that this device was a stump cutter. It was designed to be placed over a stump, and then turned by two people, walking in circles around the stump, until all of the roots had been cut. The stump could then be pulled out of the ground by a rope and a good horse.

I've never seen anything like this since. And I have no idea if this thing actually worked. However, I keep wondering if something like this couldn't be adapted to be used on a post hole digger.

One of these days I am going to weld up something like this to be fitted to my PTO powered post hole digger. If for no other reason, I want to know if my uncle's design actually worked.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-17          142172

Joel, they do work, however, I'm sorry to say that despite the fact your Uncle may have made this device, he hardly invented it, they were already very common back when this area was first being cleared, that was before the turn of the century.

They don't work well in rocky soil though, just sandy loams, tree stumps tend to latch onto rocks and hold them as ballast.

A faster way is merely to get an old tractor rim, the bigest one you can find, and place it next to the stump, with a chain around the base and then up over the rim., pull the far end of the chain with the biggest heaviest thing you have, even if that is only a horse, or a come-along anchored to another tree.

A piece of pipe and a fire works good too, but it's slow, smokey, and tends to upset the neighbours in a suburb.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-05-17          142173

Murf,

Thanks for the info.

I have never seen one of these things before, or since. I didn't know that there was such a thing. There is no doubt that my uncle actually made this cutting tool in his own shop, but I didn't know that these things were commonly used in the past.

When my uncle passed away, we found wood spokes in the attic of his shop. We also found complete wagon wheels, steel bands for wagon wheels, and many other neat things of this sort. The stump cutter was certainly handmade, but he did a great job making it. It looked well-used.

Thanks for the history lesson. It's good to learn something new every day.

Joel ....

View my Photos
STILWATER

2008-12-03          158311

I remove stumps by with a chainsaw cutting a 3" checker board pattern top of the stump to ground level.
After the cuts are done get dry bark breaking it up then filling the checker cuts up almost to top of stump.1 cup of diesel and light.
Takes about a hr to burn it out saves from stressing a tractor/ ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-03          158317

Nobody likes a PTO-driven stump cutter? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-12-03          158323

Auer, I always wanted one, but the wife said we can't afford all of our windows I would break out and the funeral home charges to haul me away after someone shot me for breaking their windows too. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-03          158325

On YouTube, plug in "Stump Removal." You'll see every technique you can think of (including the "hole saw" method). And some you can't. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-12-03          158328

I've got a PTO-powered stump grinder.

I'll happily sell it to the first person that wants it too. I'll even deliver it.

Of all the people I've every talked to, the ONLY people who like stump grinders, or think they do a nice job are the guys who make the $$$ using or renting them out, or the people who have JUST had a stump ground up.

It leaves a huge mess that takes years to properly and completely deal with.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-12-03          158332

Quite a while ago a fellow came around the neighborhood with a home made looking PTO powered stump grinder on the three point of a 7 or 806 Farmall tractor. It had no curtians, sheilds, or safety looking devices of any kind. I watched him grind a couple stumps in town, the thing threw chips, dirt, rocks, chunks of stump all over the place. He and a couple kids that were with him did a pretty good job of cleaning up after and hauled the stuff away. I don't remember what he charged, but it didn't seem like much at the time. Never saw him before or since. Even after seeing that disaster waiting to happen looking thing operate for some unknown reason I still kinda always wanted one, but the Mrs. long ago put the kebosh to that idea. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login