Go Bottom

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
mlockwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-21          142303

I was mowing my field and wire tangled my mower deck, stalling my tractor. I disconected the PTO and removed the wire. Now my tractor engine cycles, with the normal smoke I usually see when starting but it never starts.:-( This is a three cylinder deisel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-05-22          142325

Do regular diagnostics, for fail to start,
1. is the motor turning over strongly?
2. are you getting power to glow plugs?
3. crack an injector line, turn over and see if fuel to inj.
4. some tractors have disconnect on pto and wont start if it is engaged, is it off?
5. the wire thing may have nothing to do with not starting, was is hard starting prior to incident?
6. Is there fuel? or did it happen to be near empty when the wire thing happened?
7 Air filteror fuel filter clogged?

If that is the case additional deeper diagnostics may need to be done. IE, compression test, fuel pressure test,

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-22          142326

I think you have that little Yanmar engine in there. My first guess is that the sudden and drastic decrease in engine RPM coupled with a sudden and drastic increase in torque demanded by the fouled mower - cause the injection pump to jump timing

//greg// ....

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
mlockwood

2007-05-25          142458

thanks, No leaking fuel, Motor turns stongly, I have not gotten farther. Will check glow plugs. Air filter and fuel filter are fine. PTO is disigaged, I was unable to find a cut off but if anyone knows of one on this tractor let me know. It is half full of fuel and was starting fine before the wire thing.

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
mlockwood

2007-05-25          142459

Past my expertise, if this is true what do I need to do to get it fixed. ....

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-25          142466

Assuming the injection pump jumped timing, just trailer it and let the area John Deere dealer set you straight. It's not labor intensive, and shouldn't be a very expensive proposition.

//greg// ....

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-05-26          142468

mlockwood,

I'm shooting in the dark here. Please bear with me.

From past experience, I'm guessing that the wire you hit did more than just wrap itself up in your mower. I'm guessing that you'll find that the loose end caused some damage to your wiring as it flailed about under your tractor.

Look for damaged or broken electrical wires on your tractor. This is most likely the cause of your troubles.

Joel ....

JD655 won t start

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-05-26          142470

On a JD/Yanmar diesel?

Only starting-related wiring - "underneath" - are the various OSHA (interlock) switches. But if the interlock wiring circuit was compromised, the solenoid couldn't be energized. We know that's working, otherwise the engine wouldn't be turning.

On the Yanmar I had, I'm pretty sure the injection pump was driven by one or more fingers that were tripped by crankshaft rotation. Damage in that area can upset the fuel delivery sequence (timing).

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login