Go Bottom

John Deere JD 755 Brake rusted stuck problem

View my Photos
NHDaveD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-14          143704

OK - I'm prepared for any scolding :) but, right now I don't have a good place to "garage" my JD 755. In the summer I try to keep it in the garage. In the winter I currently store it behind my house on gravel and tarp it and don't get to use it. This winter I was able to store it (still was tarped) on a concrete parking pad next to my garage. Hopefully soon I will put a carport roof over said parking pad and this should help out in many ways. One of the problems having no good storage space is that sometimes I get lazy and it stays out uncovered. Last fall we had a week of steady heavy rain and it just sat there getting soaked. So now the "parking" brake seems to be stuck. I can release the lever but the brakes stay engaged.

How do I un-freeze them? Where do I start? I looked underneath but the linkage seemed more complex than I thought it would be. I need help.

Thanks in advance. Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-14          143705

I kinda doubt that just leaving it out in the rain affected the brakes---but anything is possible. My equipment is out side 24/7 and have no issues like that.

I'd try rocking it back and forth under power. Do you have LH and RH cutting brakes? If so, one may be still engaged and one is freed or not locked ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2007-07-15          143717

Sorry I forgot to mention that I can drive it both forward and reverse and it goes straight so I don't think that only one of the brakes is stuck. What happens is that it bogs down. I can feeling it straining to get any speed up. Its like a dog straining against its leash - it wants to go but it can't. I've checked the transmission level and all is well. The loader works ok. So right now I'm not thinking that it is anything hydraulic. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-07-15          143722

One way to check to see if the brakes are stuck is park it on a hard level surface and put the range selector in neutral. You should be able to roll the tractor fairly easily by hand.

If that checks out OK there's one other thing. I'm assuming it has a hydrostatic transmission? If so, when was the last time of service? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-15          143725

There's a world of difference comparing brakes being on and bogging down!

Sounds like either the air filter is plugged, and/or the fuel filter is plugged, and/or the fuel filler cap vent is plugged.

IMHO if the hydro had a problem, the engine would rev but you wouldn't have locomotion, or very little.

Might be time to run some "Power Service" through it. ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2007-07-15          143727

Thanks guys! Billy I'll try your idea first since its a very simple way to check if its a brake problem. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

I guess that's why us 1 tractor guys appreciate you 5 tractor guys (and everyone else who is helpful). I just have wait until these thunderstorms stop rolling through and hope there is some sunlight left.

If that doesn't point to the brakes then earthwrks I'll check out your suggestions and go from there.

Billy to answer your question, yes it is a hydrostatic transmission. It hasn't been serviced in a few years but I've only put about 30 hours on it. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-22          158792

I just had a very similar problem with my 4210 ehydro, it was bogging down. I replaced both hydraulic filters, fuel filter, even rockshaft filter. Problem was right brake was sticking at rear of tractor. I pulled the brake rod off the arm at the rear wheel to fix the "problem". Now I need to know how to unfreeze the brake rod shaft where it goes into the tranny. Any ideas ???? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-12-22          158796

Is it frozen (not with ice) where the shaft crosses thru the tractor or where it enters the differential?

If it the shaft that goes thru tractor has it been greased? If not start there with 1 pump of grease and start working the pedal. You might even try remove zerk and fill with penetration oil and grease. If its at differential try a penatration oil and work the shaft from the bottom. ....

View my Photos
jbjpam

2008-12-22          158803

I had a 755 and have a 4210. Both tractors had a brake stick once each. It was not hydraulics or filters or anything else. The way I got them unstuck was to remove the tire on the stuck side. (for easier access) The 755 I had to take the linkage off, the 4210 was not necessary but was easier with it off. You might get lucky by just grabbing the shaft that goes into the axle housing and turning it the opposite direction but I doubt it. I sprayed the shaft numerous times with PB Blaster and used an air gun and forced the spray into the hole the shaft goes into. Between each spray and blow I would grab the shaft and turn it back and forth to work it in. It took about 1/2 hour of this but it worked fine on both tractors from then on. This was easier than taking it all apart. The thing with hydro's is the brakes don't really get much use and have time to corrode a bit. Both tractors were / are barn stored. Good luck.. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-23          158823

I don't know what a 755 is, but in case my experience is relevant,

-mine would never budge from hand-pushing on a hard level surface, even when new. And when I'd forget to release the brake-on-lock, you could tell from the moment you tried to drive it.

-3,000 hours and 30 years later, I serviced the brakes. Linings like new. Some return-springs had stretched and were easy to replace. Linkages (right to the pedals) were cleaned and oiled, I think the main accomplishment. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login