Go Bottom

John Deere JD 790 life expectancy

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-21          143930

Anybody know ball park figures on life of a 790 in hours? Specific example would be great. IE: Expect the engine to start losing compresion at 1000 hours...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-21          143932

Kleinchris,

It's all but impossible to provide this information. Aside from the fact that every once in a while a manufacturer will receive a bad batch of bearings, rods, pistons, etc.......we also have to deal with the level of service the tractor receives during its lifetime, as well as the type of work it has been involved with.

General rule of thumb.........

A tractor engine should be entirely overhauled at about 5000 hours.

Most tractors with this many hours on them have had at least the lower end of the engine gone through.....rods, crank, bearings, seals, pistons, and rings.

The engine's heads, which contain the valves, rocker arms, and push rods, may not need to be overhauled at 5000 hours, but while the engine is out, why not do it?

An engine that has been neglected or abused; or one that has been used for foundry work, where silica sand is present; may not last nearly as long.

Surprisingly, many tractor engines don't last nearly 5000 hours, simply because they have been started too many times, and then used for very short jobs. These short runs are very hard on diesel engines.

Then again, I know of some State-owned tractors, used for mowing ditches, which have over 10,000 hours on the engines, with absolutely no sign of needing an overhaul.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-21          143943

Cado, thats what I was looking for. Thanks ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login