Go Bottom

Alternator Battery Regulator

View my Photos
Normando
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-09          146667

Hi Everyone, I have to say electricity is not my strong suite. I have a small electrical problem with my tractor and I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem before I start replacing parts and fixing the wrong problem.

My battery has been kind of weak lately and I have had to jump start my tractor. So yesterday I pulled out the old meter to try to find the problem. Here are some of my findings. Before the tractor is started, I have 12.15 volt at the battery terminals. As soon as I hit the starter is drops down to 6.56 volts. So I jump start it.

Now with the tractor running I get 12.25 volts at the battery terminals (when compared to my truck which has about 14 plus). I put the meter to the back side terminals of the alternator and I get the same results, 12.25v. If I switch on the headlights, the battery volts start to drop and level out at about 9.96 volts. Once the lights are turned off, the volts at the battery slowly start to climb (and I mean slowly) until the reach back to 12.25 volts.

I think it is the alternator but I am not positive. Is there another test or some other way I should have trouble shoot the problem? Oh by the way, I also checked the tension on the alternator belt and it was fine. If it is the alternator, should I or will I have to replace the battery?

Thank you!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-09          146671

You don't say so, but I'm guessing you're talking about the JD 950 in your profile.

You are correct, the output of the alternator should be about 14 volts.

If it is lower than that I doubt it's the regulator since the job of the regulator is too REDUCE the voltage the alternator puts out to a safe level. If the regulator was shot the voltage should be higher than normal, not lower.

If you have a weak battery, or have installed some large current drawing accessories, you may have over-loaded the alternator and it gave up.

Best way to do it is to take it to a reputable auto electric shop that rebuilds alternators and have them bench test it.

Some of the bigger auto parts houses do this now for free, ask around.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Normando

2007-10-09          146680

Thank you for the quick reply and yes it is the JD 950. Yeah that is what I weas planning on doing. Once again Thank you!

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-09          146685

"Before the tractor is started, I have 12.15 volt at the battery terminals. As soon as I hit the starter is drops down to 6.56 volts."

You might want to get the battery tested as well - your statement above indicates a problem with the battery. ....

View my Photos
testing

2007-10-09          146690

How old is the battery? ....

View my Photos
Normando

2007-10-09          146705

About 1 year old. ....

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2007-10-09          146712

I would take the regulator along to be tested also. A defective alternator can cause overcharging and undercharging. You also could have a broken wire between alternator and regulator. I would say chances are good the battery will be ok when the charging problem is resolved. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login