Go Bottom

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-06          147884

I'm buying an 2520 and wan't some feedback from anyone who owns and uses the backhoe on a 2520 o an 2320. I'm an electrical contractor and would be digging three feet from anywhere fron 30 to 200 feetong. How do you move the backhoe to continue digging? do you leave the tractor in neutral and push back with the bucket? How fast can you dig and how much power does it have? Any feedback would be appreciated
Thanks
Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-11          148105

think a guy on here ducati996 has the tractor with the backhoe you are wanting. He could tell you all the specifics about the tractor. Can you demo the tractor with the backhoe for couple hours to see if it will do what you want.? I did just that with my 2520 and worked out great.
Good luck. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-11          148107

I have the virtually same tractor (4115) with Deere's 46 Backhoe.

You really have to get off change seats and move the machine with the drive train. At least I do.... two main reasons:

1) You have to plant the FEL straight into the ground to support the tractor while digging, and.........

2) The operators area is directly under a rather narrow ROPS and there is no room to turn your body to manipulate the those controls.

Besides, when I stick the B/H bucket into the ground it just digs rather than trying to pull the tractor, even if the tractor is free to roll.

I can offer you a viable alternative. Check out a Kubota BX24. I had a BX22 when they first came out and because of the WIDE ROPS and roomy, open work station I could easily reach back and raise the FEL.

I could also push the HST pedals with my hand without leaving the B/H seat to inch the tractor forward or back.

Disclaimer: I am 6'3" and have long arms so you are going to have to try this one on for fit.

As far as digging power both the BX and the 46 B/H have all the power you are going to need for the intended purpose, which is digging. If you want to use it as a crane you are going to have to mind the weights. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-11          148108

If you're doing this all the time I'd think you'd want something with a seat that will easily rotate from forward facing to rearward facing. I've seen 'em but can't remember the model numbers. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-11          148113

Hi There
Do you have a 2520? Do you have a bachhoe attachment? The dealer which has 7 locations does'nt stock a 46 backhoe and they said if they had one they would'nt let me try it due to nobody wan'ts to buy a dirty mechine so i'm left to talk to other owners. Any feedback would be helpful
Mike Murphy ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-11          148114

I looked at the Kobuta BX24. It is too small and not enough power in my opinion to do what I'm looking for. If I need to dismount from the rear seat, sit on the front seat to drive foward then remount the backhoe seat I will not buy this tractor. The dealer told me leave the tractor in neutral and push it forward with the backhoe bucket. Any futher feedback would help
Thank you
Mike M ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-12          148117

I will tell you this, if I wanted a machine for the primary purpose of using the backhoe I would go with the BX hands down.

The backhoe is much better quality than the Deere 46 and it easier and more precise to operate. It trailers better to a job site and fits into smaller, tighter places.

As far as power goes, maybe you can tell the difference between a 3 cylinder/23 HP and 3 cylinder/26 HP in the field but I can't.

Now if you just don't like orange or are looking more at bucket size and lift capacity I can understand where the BX might look almost toy-like, but IMHO it is the best small B/H on the market and it performs just like the bigger dogs.

If the dealer is telling you that you cannot scrape a little paint off the B/H bucket before you put your hard earned cash down...... maybe it is time to find another dealer??

As to what I own, I have posted a pix in the #9 spot. It is a virtual twin to the 2520..... just a bit less HP at 24. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-12          148155

my application is the following:
I need a quick disconnect system where I can remove the bucket in a couple minutes without tools
I need to be able to attach forks to the loader assembly with a quick disconect system
The tractor must be able to lift 500-600 lbs. using forks lifting a 4 1/2 wide by 2 1/2 foot deep and 3 1/2 foot high generator. I do believe the BX-26 would be too small for this appication. kUBOTA makes a good product but in my opinion when I compared the 7610 hst to the John Deere 2520 with hours of research and a $2000.00 higher price than the Kubota I still bought the John Deere. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-12          148156

I wanted the quick-attach FEL forks too and that is why I now have the Deere 4115.

As far as I know Deere is the only one with a quick change bucket. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-12          148157

I was just curious. When I looked at the Kubota 7610 and compared it to the Deere 2520. The 2520 weighhs around 500 lbs more than the Kubota. To me it seem that the kubota was a little larger frame which does'nt explain such a weight differance. Do you know why the weight differance? ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-12          148159

I have not looked real closely at either model lately, but in the past the difference was usually due to more cast aluminum components.

I have found that wheel base is a better comparator for tractor size. I think the 2520 might be more comparable to a Kubota 2910 or 7800 if they are still making such a thing. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-12          148160

As I suspected: the 7800 and 2520 both have a 65 inch wheel base and the weight difference is about 100 pounds.

That compares the 2520 shipping weight to the 7800's unloaded weight.

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-13          148172

Nightrider; I have the quick attach bucket on my 430 Deere loader. I sometimes go betwen the bucket and the forks a couple times a day. It is a simple but very solid system, and takes just a couple minutes going either way. That feature alone would make it hard for me to change brands, I was under the assumption that most all brands had a quick attach bucket. Frank. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-13          148205

Hi Frank
Thank you for your feedback. I a new proud owner of a Deere 2520 which was delivered today with a 200 cx loader and pallet forks. My backhoe will not be in till next week. On first impressions i'm very impressed with the high build quality and smooth engine. I moved two 500 lb. generators around with the pallet forks with no problem or strain on the tractor. I'll give a more detailed report in the weeks to follow as I put the 2520 though its paces for anyone looking at the 2520 and would like a first hand account of the tractor.
Mike ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-13          148206

Congrats!

Bringing home a new tractor is better than Christmas! ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-11-13          148207

mike.....congrats on the new 2520 mine has 9.5 hours on it. Wish i had enough stuff around the house to use a backhoe on my property. I do more mowing than anything else. The 200cx loader is so easy to take on and off.
Think you made a wise decision....i know i did this time around with my 2520.

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-13          148211

Thank you for your input. I keep signing that Keeny Chesney song " she thinks my tractors sexy " I need a life huh?
Mike ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
nightrider69

2007-11-13          148213

With only 9.5 hours you must have got yours also this year so you know how I feel. With $6000.00 for a backhoe maybe your lucky you don't need one. Anyway thank you for your message and all your feedback
Mike ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-14          148225

For my 2 cents worth, if I was buying a mchaine for trenching, I would be looking at a mini-ex instead of a small TLB.

A dedicated excavator with a full swing carriage will dig circles around any small tractor, dedicated well-designed TLB or otherwise, and do a better job of it to boot. A TLB is a PITA to get close to buildings with, but an excavtor is designed for it.

The couple of extra dollars to buy it, if there is any cost difference, would be made up for in saved labour time in REAL short order.

Best of luck. ....

John Deere 2520 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-14          148227

This conversation finally prompted me to compare the stats from my 4 year old 4115 and the newer 2520.

Near as I can tell they really are twins. Even though the 2520 is listed at 26.5 hp and the 4115 at 24 hp, they are listed at 20.5 and 20 hp at the PTO. Dead heat.

The wheel base shows 1/2 inch difference, the base weights are about 90 pounds apart and your fuel tank holds a couple gallons more.

The rest of the numbers are just a reprint from the earlier model. FEL, hydraulic pressure, three point lift numbers, tire sizes, etc are all identical. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login