Go Bottom

Brush grapple for JD 5205

View my Photos
daj1943
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-05          153453

Does anyone have any experience with adding a brush grapple to a JD 5205 with a 522 FEL? What make grapple would be recommended?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-05          153458

No experience with that tractor or loader but I've got a Borgford grapple on my smaller JD and it's been great. Very well built and reliable and if you order it for a JD they will equip it with the quick attach links and even paint it green. Here's a link. ....

Link:   Borgford Grapple

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-06          153469

That's a fairly large machine and should be able to handle a skid steer-type grapple. Mine weighs a hefty 1000.lb alone. I know from cleaning up Hurricane Katrina that some guys were using a one-piece grapple typically used to handle hay bales for picking up trees and debris. While they can pick up a large or bulky load, I wouldn't recommend it though. The ones I saw were bent up and twisted from not being able to make the grapple jaw conform to irregular objects; a skid steer grapple ususally has two independent jaws.

Ebay has some weld-on grapples for your existing bucket. They are made well but won't give you the same grasping ability as the sides of the bucket interfere with loads that don't fit in the bucket. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-05-06          153477

Dja; I'm quite sure that I had the same grapple you are talking about on a Deere loader on a 7000 series tractor. When I looked at the grapple at a dealership lot it was on a 500 series loader on a 5000 series tractor. I used it to clean brush, rolls of old fence wire, rocks, you name it when we cleared some old fencerows. If this is the same model you are looking at it had about five or six round teeth about 1 1/2 in. ch diamater about ten to twelve inches long. If the big nut that holds the tooth in gets loose you will break the tooth, so do check them they will work loose. I'd score it a nine on one to ten scale, real nice untt. Frank. ....

View my Photos
bvinduck

2008-06-23          154798

Hi,
I have RGB60 from WR Long and love it. FYI- my CUL is a JD 4600 with 460 loader. They have all different size grapple buckets. ....

View my Photos
PaulChristenson

2008-07-03          155046

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj1943 | view 153453
Does anyone have any experience with adding a brush grapple to a JD 5205 with a 522 FEL?What make grapple would be recommended?

If you don't want to fiddle with added hydraulic lines...
Check out a Brush Crusher from Westendorf
http://www.loaders.com/aspx/product/default.aspx?productid=77 ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-07-03          155052

I'd be thinking long and hard before I put one of those on any FEL of mine, it looks like a recipe for a big expense to me.

The loader arms on a FEL are designed to merely support something larger, a bucket for instance, not be a tool in and of themselves. Accordingly each arm is not robust enough to take a load independent of the other. A load on one side that is much more than the load on the other side can and will rack (twist) the FEL frame pretty quickly.

I've seen loaders twisted to the point they were nearly useless just by trying to lift a big load that was chained to one side of the bucket and then being shock loaded.

If they were mounted on a rigid sub-frame it would be a whole different story.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login