Go Bottom

John Deere 4510 backhoe and log splitter

View my Photos
Lloyd1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-15          155316

Greetings, this is my first post! :-)

I have a JD 4510. It is setup with a power beyond kit to run my JD #48 backhoe. I'm currently thinking about building or purchasing a 3 pt log splitter, however not sure how that would work.

Currently if I connect my hoe to the rear hyd ports, my 3 pt hitch is not operational. If I simply disconnect the loop hose on the back, the tractor is under extreme load, (manual says don't do that!) there I think I have what is called a Open system???? Anyway, is their some method I could connect an implement to my rear ports, and still retain function of my 3 point. I'd love to beable to raise and lower the 3 pt as I move thru splitting different size logs, without disconnecting lines and reconnecting over and over again. Hope that makes sense?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-15          155320

Greetings, and welcome! I'd like to say that I'm a hydraulic expert but that would be a lie. However, I hooked my hydraulic dump trailer to a single port of the power beyond connections and it works fine. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-16          155325

Lloyd; Yes as KW said "WELCOME" we can always use some new blood around here. I have a very similar setup with my 4310 and #48 hoe. When you have the hoe on and the hoses hooked up properly the pump on the tractor has no bypass till the oil gets to the valve body in the hoe. If you have a log splitter valve with the correct bypass relief and flow capacity I see no reason that returning the oil flow back to the normal power beyond return coupler as if you had the hoe installed wouldn't work fine to operate the splitter. To power the 3pt without changing the hose back to the 3pt. valve MIGHT be possible by simply rumming the return hose from the splitter into the 3pt coupler on the back of the tractor instead of the normal return coupler for the power beyond. PLEASE run this by the service manager at a Deere dealeship before you do this, I've did lots of hydraulic work bu am FAR from being an expert. Frank. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-16          155327

Frank called it correct. Use a open center valve and plumb into the regular loop. However not sure when you use splitter valve how 3ph will react.

I used the power beyond ports for splitter till a found a good engine. I found the PBY much slower than I like for a splitter. ....

View my Photos
Lloyd1

2008-07-16          155329

Thanks everybody! I'm going to give this a try. I only intend to use the splitter ocaisionaly, have a lot of trees on my property and always seem to be cleaning up one. Of course, if energy costs keep escalating, I may need wood to heat my house!

Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-16          155333

Lloyd1, welcome here. A good bunch of people. No idea where in SC you are or if here for Hugo or not but we ran chain saws and then splitter for so long following that little strom it provide wood for two houses (mine bening one) to fully heat with wood for probably 5 years. I am about 20 miles west of Myrtle Beach. kt ....

View my Photos
Lloyd1

2008-07-16          155337

Hi KT!

I'm in Rock Hill, the other side of the state. I missed Hugo, glad I did! I have some land up near Bat Cave, NC. It has taken a beating this year, lots of big wind storms, keeping me pretty busy cleaning up the trees. The 4510 has earned it's keep! L. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-16          155340

Lloyd1, I don't normally think of Rock Hill as the other side of the state. Were you there when Hugo hit or did it some how miss you. Charlotte took a bigger hit than one would have thought. I was through there in December following Hugo and there was a path of down trees from here to there.
If you run down to Myrtle Beach and use Hwy 22, blow your horn loudly when you exit onto it, just might hear you, only live about 3 miles from there. kt

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-16          155341

Lloyd,
I did not realize how close Rock Hill and Bat Cave are. Looks like maybe 60 to 80 miles. Had missed there were major winds up there this year. Was it worst due to the drought conditions leaving the trees weakened? How is it right now? Over the last month or so we have had good rains, but before that we went about a month with no rain and are still running behind. On top of last year our ground is still dryer than normal by far. But what is bad in one area (crops and lawns) helps out in others as we are cleaning up some low areas. As to Bat Cave, pretty area. kt ....

View my Photos
Lloyd1

2008-07-16          155349

yes, it's about a 100 mile drive, however we take the back roads to avoid the traffic and therefore probably add miles. We have had a number of bad thunderstorms, recorded a 80 mph wind there about 2 months ago, it took down 2 very large oak trees, and I would guess that the drought did aide in weakening them. Certainly the dust dry earth didn't help hold them. They both came down via the root ball failing, so I have backhoe work after the tree cutting! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-16          155354

You know with the concern from hurricanes this area is given by the national media I probably have had more trees down such as you did than from hurricanes.

Have fun and be safe. Notice other post going right now about thumb in log splitter. kt ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login