Go Bottom

JD Snowblower snow thrower

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-18          157994

Whats the opinion on a JD 47"snowblower (2 stage) verses a 46" snow thrower (single stage) for the front of my 755?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-19          157996

Hettric,

I have a friend who owns a single stage blower. It's very inefficient. That danged thing won't throw snow more than four feet. Since there's no impeller, the snow is thrown at a very low velocity.

Single stage blowers have a pair of paddles mounted on the auger, directly under the chute. The auger turns too slowly to make a blower out it. The snow spits out of the chute barely traveling a few feet, and if into the wind, maybe nowhere at all.

A two-stage thrower incorporates an impeller behind the auger. The auger feeds the snow into the impeller. The impeller rotates at a much higher speed, throwing the snow out at a very high velocity. The bigger the impeller, the further the snow will go......at least up to the point where your tractor runs short of the horsepower needed to power it.

The best blowers use large impellers...no less than 20 inches in diameter. Smaller impellers work well for walk-behind blowers, which don't have the horsepower to handle the larger impellers.

I wouldn't go with the single-stage blower. You'd be very disappointed with it.

Joel

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-19          158007

I have both. The single-stage works for light powder, but heavy or wet snow will at best barely make it out of the chute, at worst continuously clog. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2008-11-19          158033

Ditto others here. Stay away from a single stage blower. You would be very unhappy with it's performance.

I'm not familiar with the blower you mentioned. How is it powered? PTO or hydraulic driven?

Brian ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2008-11-20          158056

Hettric,
I had a 755 with the 47 blower from 1995 til 2004 and loved it! The first winter we had 120 inches of snow and had no problems clearing my 1700 foot drive or those of my neighbors.
I would recommend that setup to anyone.
It actually cleared snow faster than my new 5 foot blower on my 4310!
Mike. ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2008-11-21          158059

Thanks for the replies, It confirms what I thought on single stage units. Have not been lucky finding a 2-stage 47" to fit my 755 within my budget.
Bvance, It is front mount mid PTO driven and requires the bracket/mid shaft for 755 855 955.
Mikef54, Did you have your wheels set narrow with the 47"?Or did it not matter that the track is wider? I have found 59" units but felt the 47" would be better?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2008-11-21          158063

Hettric,
Had wheels set to wide position to allow chains to clear wheel well. Yes the blower was wider than the wheels, so it left a clear path. I hope you find one , I loved mine!
Mike. ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2008-11-21          158064

Mikef54, now I'm confused, the rear tire track with my turfs set wide is 54". Did you have smaller tires or a snowblower wider than 47"?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2008-12-10          158507

I was lucky enough to find a 47" snowblower for the front of my JD 755. I am considering if I should look into fabricating some casters or wheels as I am going to use it on a dirt drive and worse a old tar drive with a bad crown.
Anyone have experience?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-12-11          158508

Hettric,

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for! Congratulations!

As for the gravel and the old tar, I think you might find that casters will cause you all sorts of trouble. (Mainly because they'll be too high.) It might be better to simply install a pair of skids under the blower.

My skids look like an arc, cut from a circle. They're about 2 inches wide, and about 3/8" thick. They aren't adjustable. They're permanently welded to the bottom of the blower housing, about 1" in from the outer edges. My skids leave about 1.5" of snow on the driveway.

The arc shape prevents them from digging into the ground, or from catching on the cracks on a concrete slab. They also work well to prevent me from digging into the rocks on my gravel driveway. I only have to be careful not to span directly over the crown in the center of my driveway. If I make a pass down each side, it works great.

These skids are foolproof. They've been on this blower for many years, and are just now beginning to show signs of wear at the very bottom. The wear takes place during the first snow removal of the year, before there's any hard-packed snow on the driveway. After the first snowfall, no further wear takes place on the skids. The car traffic packs the snow down good, creating a smooth surface for the skids to ride over.

If you live in a place where frequent melting takes place between each snowfall, the wear on the skid plates would be much more rapid. Even so, they're easy and cheap to replace. A flat bar of 3/8" thick steel, 2 inches wide, can easily be bent in any ordinary hydraulic press, and then welded on for you. No matter where you live, they'll last many years.

Joel ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login