Go Bottom

485 Backhoe enclosed boom and dipper

View my Photos
SamSpade
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-01          158993

I was looking at the specs for the 448 vs 485 backhoes on the John Deere website. One of the features listed for the 485 and not the 448 is an "enclosed boom and dipper". In the pitcures, the 448 boom and Dipper look identical to the 485 and both have the hydraulics on the outside (the 485 goes on to list that as a feature for easier service). Does anybody know what they mean by enclosed? Is that just that the boom and dipper are box beam construction? Four peaces of plate welded into an "enclosed" box? Is that different than the 47, 48, 447 or 448 backhoes?

Does anybody know the difference between a 448 and a 485? I vaguely remember the 485 has clearence for cab tractors. Anything else?

Link:   enclosed boom and dipper

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

485 Backhoe enclosed boom and dipper

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-01          158996

Most likely JD doesn't make this this themselves. SOme othe better known OEM's are FCC, Woods, Bush Hog. I would look up their websites for comparisons.

I don't know any manufacturer who puts the Customer first as far as ease of servicing; sometimes that is a marketing ploy to move product and in some cases at a higher cost. If you think about it "servicing" a backhoe is pretty sraight-forward and not rocket science.

Design changes are sometimes the result of commodity price fluxuations like steel which has gone up sharply. And labor costs figure into too. Designs may have chanaged to reduce maufacturing steps involved to make them simpler.

And it could be JD changed suppliers, a patent expired, a patent was licensed, or whatever reason.

Just my observations. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login