Go Bottom

What s the dumbest thing your dealer s ever done

View my Photos
Lwayne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-04          159055

I stopped in at my dealer last week to ask my salesman what the holdup is in getting the bucket for my new 5101E. Of course, I had to walk back to the shop to take another look-see. I happened to notice that the tool box had been mounted (on the right side of the loader) since I was in last. All I've seen are on the left side so I wanted a better look. Now, this bracket is bolted onto the loader with the toolbox offset either to the left or the right. In this particular case the toolbox was offset to the left; COMPLETELY BLOCKING THE RIGHT CAB DOOR! Is this a case of too much eggnog? My salesman was rightfully as stupified as I was. So I'm wondering. How many of you have similar tales to tell?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-04          159056

Had 20 hours on my new blue TC33D and the starter goes out. Mechanic makes a field service call to my job site. I'm standing about 100 feet away talking with my client as the mechanic looking at me from the other side of the machine drops the $600 plastic engine side cover. He bends down still looking at me as he picks it up and wipes it off as if he keeps eye contact I won't notice. Yep, sure enough, it was scratched when it slid down the dirty back tire.

Same dealer, same machine: I complained my seat back had paint rubbing off as it rubbed the slow moving vehicle triangle bracket. Fix: As I rounded the shop corner "big-ass" is just getting off my machine. He sprayed black paint on the seat back---didn't tape or cover anything around it--nor did he even CLEAN the seat back---right over the dirt.

I took a walk through the service area one time before dropping off my $47,000 skid steer for its 50-hour service. I'm seeing NEW $150,000 tractors with their engine covers laying on dirty concrete; some were stacked on top of each other like old newspapers!

So I grabbed the service mangler...er...manager by the proverbial neck, showed him and told him THAT better NOT happen to MY stuff! "Yes sir, it won't". So I told him that it already DID to my other machine. He just sakes his head like "yeah, we got dumbasses working here". Gosh, I love making friends. ....

View my Photos
FireMedic

2009-08-29          165341

Dealer tried to charge me $750.00 ($500 for the starter, $250 to install) for the replace and install of a starter for my 6x4 farm Gator. took it back home and did it for $89.00 all in.

Jd has gotten out of hand.

Ps. the starter was brand new and in a JD box with original part number. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-29          165343

Local Deere dealer has treated me well except for their shop rates, 80-90 bucks now I think, so I do as much as I can myself.
Deere is shooting themselves in the foot by wanting to sell "Componet Package" parts which has the three dollar special bolt you broke, BUT now the bolt is only avaiable in the componet poackage costing 3-500 bucks. Sorry Mr. Deere I do have a lathe and other eqipment to make the "Special" bolt at home for ten cents. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-29          165345

I know. It frosts my balls when I can't but a repair part anymore - unless it comes along with some kind of "repair kit". One of my generators busted a valve keeper, a fifteen cent part at most. No way however, to get the fifteen cent valve keeper from Generac. You have to buy the $127 "top end rebuild kit" which includes the keeper.

But that's a supplier problem, the question was about stupid dealers. I had a tractor under warranty with a PTO clutch problem. The dealer sent a mechanic to my farm, who stuck a few wrenches through the inspection port. He then said "take it out now and do some mowing". I got to the bottom of a hill, jumped and jerked back up the other direction - went straight back to idiot and asked what the hell he'd done. Turns out he adjusted the drive clutch instead of the PTO clutch. I barely had enough clutch left to drive up onto my trailer.

Delivered the tractor to them to replace the clutchpack (warranty replacement due to mechanic error). Tractor was already loaded on my trailer when I went to pick it up. Got it home, I couldn't even back it off the trailer. Seems that they only replaced the friction disc, and never bothered to reset stack height before remounting it on the flywheel.

Subsequent complaint to the regional manager ended up with him buying me a new tractor.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-29          165353

Well not my dealer but tried to buy from one who got real upset when I bought from another dealership due to his price. Caused me not to price him on next tractor and to only give half hearted effort with him on excavator.

View my Photos
Lwayne

2009-08-30          165361

Something else along these lines happened just a week or so ago. I was talking to my dealer's service manager in the shop about a seperate issue when he interupted the convesation to point to a pile of shiny green metal lying on the counter next to him. "By the way," he said, "we have to replace the brackets on your loader sometime when it's in here. The last time it was here we were wondering why your brackets were so bent. We figured out they were installed BACWARDS at the factory!" (563 Loader) This one wasn't the dealer's fault. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-30          165362

This concerns auto dealerships instead of tractor.
I had been driving Ford pickups that I would order thru a local dealership. When I put lots of miles on one which I don't since retirement I would trade every two or three years. I went back to order a new pickup and the new salesman said no we don't do that unless you are a fleet customer we just sell from stock, OK, Bye.
Drove over to local Chevy dealership, told the salesman I wanted to order a new pickup, he couldn't get the order sheet out fast enough. Been buying both pickpus and cars there since.
Boss man at Ford dealership called a while later to see if I was about ready to order a new pickup, told him the story, never heard back. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-09-02          165397

Back when the BX22 was new, hot, and in short supply, I negotiated a (less than full retail) price with the local dealer for the next unit he could get. The deal included a front blade which he pre-ordered.

Then the next four or five BX22's he got went out the door the day they arrived to "walk-ins" for full retail+ pricing.

After waiting nearly two months and getting tired of his excuses I located a BX in the next state and bought it and an in-stock blade from that dealer.

When the local dealer got wind of this he called and demanded I pay him for the front blade he ordered. When I refused he trespassed me from his property and issued orders that his employees were not to speak to me, sell me supplies or service the tractor.

I think that was pretty dumb. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-02          165404

It always amazes me from a business standpoint how these guys don't connect the dots so to speak that their short term profits will always lead to long term--and longer lasting losses. They must think they're the only game in town. Years ago--pre-internet--that may have been the case but we're in a global economy.

Case in point about global competitiveness, ten years ago I had Graingers quote me $2,400 for an electric jack hammer by Bosch. That was more than mfg. list price. I went online and found it for half that. So for grins-and-giggles I asked them if they could meet or beat that price. Without batting an eye they said print out the ad and bring it in. I did and walked out saving $1,200 just for asking. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-03          165409

Not dealership but Jeff's comment reminded me of such, no idea how long it has been their policy but Shoneys at least those in my area give a 10% discount to locals. (we are a tourist area), you just have to know to ask for it. Huh?? So the next time you eat at a Shoney's ask for your local discount. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-03          165413

Having read EW's comment about Grainger I was shuffling thru yesterdays mail and found a 25% discount card from them complete with customer code and program code good on electrical and heating parts. They do have about everthing you can think of but have always been about that much higher than anyone else around here.
EW, they may even have parts for a "ROOL-OMATIC", better check. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-03          165424

Kenny, as far as Shoney's and being a local. Rather than having to ask about the discount, couldn't the locals just smile and show them their pearly white (tooth) tehehehe. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-03          165427

Nope, you have to tell them you want the "local's discount" when you go to pay. Very serious. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-03          165429

Hmmmf--I figgered just showing that one tooth would be proof enough.

Kenny did you ever get yer excavator running right? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login