Go Bottom

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
AlbertaDan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-11          160974

I know what I would like to do with my tractor. That is mow, plow snow, blow snow. Down the road I may want to plow and till a garden. It may have to pull an occasional tree stump. I am looking at three tractors. They are; JD 2305, Kubota BX 2360, or MF 2400. Does anyone have experience with these models? For the work above which is better? Which is most reliable, has the best frame. the tractor will eventually be used on the east coast where snow is very wet and heavy. grass may not always have time to dry completely before being cut.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-11          160978

Have you talked to each dealer about what they would recommend? That's a great way to get the feel for the dealer and how they attend to customers and they will each offer opinions and recommendations for your consideration. If they won't spend time with you before the sale you can pretty much count on them being useless when you need them most.

Often the dealer is more important than the specific model. Most tractors are pretty reliable and it comes down to long term support and parts availability (JD and Kubota would probably win that contest) and the quality of the dealer.

You probably won't be pulling stumps with any of those unless you do a lot of digging and chainsaw work first. Stumps can be very tough to remove unless you have a very big backhoe. ....

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
AlbertaDan

2009-03-11          160979

I'll be down around the city this weekend to have look. This should give me a good feel for the dealer. For service I may have a tough time. I am thinking of buying in Alberta and moving to Newfoundland. The 19% tax out etast is a killer. Especially when compared to 5% here. I have to move my tools and vehicles anyhow. What's one more to move? ....

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-11          160982

In my area I have numerous Kubota dealers all within 50 miles of where I live. Admittedly I don't put many hours on the the machine for just residential use so I have not had to test the dealer I bought it from since I bought it. Kubos to Kubota on making a quality product :) Nonetheless how the dealer assembles the product for you is relevant, even if you never need service for a while.

In NJ there are some dealers that like to buy the crated tractors and assemble them, others may be supplied by that dealer. In my case the dealer assembled all of the components like the snowblower subframe and mower deck linkages etc. as well. All those dealer preped items were done so well that I never had to go back. So looking for a dealer that does good work is benefical at the time of purchase.

You mentioned pulling stumps with a BX, unless you get a backhoe I don't think that is an optimal use of that machine. I have the Kubota B7610 and I would not do that with it either, it's just my opinion that I would rather save my machine for the long run, and hire an excavator with a dozer to knock out what I need done in a half day, where it would take me a month and I could injure myself and damage my tractor.

Good luck!

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-11          160984

Perhaps a bit of research on what dealerships are most numerous in Newfoundland if the tractor is going to be there on a permanet basis. Both brands have a good parts and service systems. Best in wet grass, I doubt that one will be much better than the other. ....

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-11          160986

I am only echoing what others has said..will have to be very small stumps if you are to pull them.

Find out about dealerships where you will be moving to and go from there. I prefer the Kubotas but not without any dealership. ....

JD vs Kubota vs MF

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-11          160990

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaDan | view 160979
I am thinking of buying in Alberta and moving to Newfoundland. The 19% tax out etast is a killer. Especially when compared to 5% here. I have to move my tools and vehicles anyhow. What's one more to move?

Dan, that logic doesn't work, not unless it will be quite some time before you move and you need/want the tractor in Alberta.

Aside from the costs of moving the tractor 3,500 miles, all you would have to do is buy the tractor from a dealer in NB and show them your Newf drivers license. Voila, tax-free out of province sale. If they don't want to do that drive across to Bangor or take the ferry to Portland and buy it there. You don't pay the provincial sales tax coming back across the border, just the GST.

Besides, with the economy the way it is on the East Coast I'd bet you could save more than the difference in the taxes by buying it back east anyways.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login