Go Bottom

JD 4720 Cab - Transmission Issue

View my Photos
nat7971
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-03          162506

Have a new 4720 with under 200 Hrs (10 Months Old). Does everything I need.
Initially the tractor would stall after a lift of heavy load, would repeat this every 6-8 hours upto a 100 hours. Next, it started showing the 'transmission' light in the dash with ' Err 57' code, tractor would stop, would crank up but not engage transmission (forward or reverse). But after 20 min, the tractor would crank and engage transmission (start to move).
Complained to the JD dealer, kept the tractor in shop for 3 weeks.
Tractor came back a week ago, now its frequency of stops has increased to 0.5 hrs. Now it stalls and shows same error message, but does not move at all. I had JD service come out and reprogram the computer in the field, but it stalled again.
All this time, it cranks up, runs air, hydraulics work, PTO engages, but only does not move.
Any pointers?? Appreciate all comments and help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-03          162507

Time for some frank talk with the dealer. If they can't fix it then ask them to get the JD corporate rep involved. And when they take it in the shop tell them they should give you a loaner to use until it is fixed. A calm, reasonable and insistent approach will be far more apt to get you a solution than anger. Those guys are human and will react in kind. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-05-03          162513

Error code 57 stands for Transmission control unit not responding. I would suspect a bad controller, a blown fuse, a problem with the power wire to the controller, or a bad ground wire to controller. You mentioned that tracor would "stop", or "Stall". Do you mean the engine stopped running or just the transmission stops?
Check the Black 050 ground wire at controller and red 552 12 volt power wire at controller. I had a new tractor with a bad 050 ground wire. Had to replace the wiring harness. It was so intermittent that it drove me crazy finding it. Hopefully your dealer has a sharp electrical guy (or gal). ....

View my Photos
nat7971

2009-05-03          162514

Thanks for the response. The tractor cranks remains on, engine is running, just will not budge an inch (transmission stops). I will offer the suggestion to JD reps. Regards ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login