Go Bottom

jd 4200

View my Photos
loweplank
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-09          163342

i was using my tractor(diesel) for about an hour then it just shut off and wont start i filled the gas and checked oil and it was all good but my oil light wont go off.it wont start .recently i put a quart of shell rotella oil in and that is the only thing done to it

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jd 4200

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-09          163344

Did it make any strang noise before stopping? Notice any unusual smoke? Did it just die totally or slow down to a stop? The oil light not going off, was that while you were running it that hour? Any idea on when the oil and filter has been changed? At same time how about fuel and air filter? Have you checked to be sure there is no water in the fuel, draining any fuel filter or water seperator the tractor has?

Not sure on this but think your tractor has a electric fuel cut off solenoid. Any idea if it is working?

Think this is just habit but you point out it is diesel and then say you filled the gas...just using the term gas to mean fuel, correct? ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-06-09          163347

Just adding to KT's list.
Does it crank normally?
Is there smoke of any color if it does crank?
Was the oil light on prior to it stopping?
Air filter clogged? ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-10          163353

Sounds like an electric issue. Fuse, broken wire, relay, selnoid.

Does the selonoid click? If not check wiring, relays, fuses.

Relays unplug spray contacts with wd40.

Selonoid clicks mebe not pulling in. Unbolt slide out a quarter inch tractor should start. Push back in key on if tractor shuts off you have solved problem. ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
loweplank

2009-06-10          163360

yes it is a diesel and i put diesel in.it has never had changes of any filters or oils it is something iwas actually going to do this week.it made no wierd noises or smoke and it turned off before dying down.the fuel solenoid makes a loud click like usual.the light never came on before and only came on when it stalled and wont go off.i havent did any fuel stuff.it just seems wierd because i owened ths for 2 years and it never needed oil when i checked.the last time i checked it i put a quart of rotella from my diesel truck and then when i used the tractor this happened.just coincidense?i dont know.is that shell rotella allright to use?the oil is pretty dirty.thanks for replying

jd 4200

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-06-11          163369

Rotella is a great diesel oil. The problem is somewhere else. ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-06-11          163370

If you have owned it for two years with no filter or fluid changes...I would pull the manual and see what is needed. At least I would change the engine oil and that filter and also fuel filter. Also check the air filter very carefully it not replacing it, they have great influence on a diesel, they can cause it to run hot or shut down. Hope your issue is with the fuel or air filter.

Agree with DRankin on the Rotella. ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
loweplank

2009-06-11          163380

i bought all the filtrs and oils from the dealership lets hope this works.thanks everybody ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-06-12          163390

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweplank | view 163380
i bought all the filters and oils from the dealership lets hope this works.thanks everybody

I will go out on a limb and say there is zero possibilty that changing the oil and oil filter will accomplish anything. That said it will be my pleasure should I have to eat my words :)

Did you run out of fuel the day you had a problem? Is you fuel filtered clogged? Does the engine crank? ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-06-12          163394

I'm with harvey, if there was enough fuel and it was running fine and then it "just stopped" it is most likely electrical. Fuel problems usually come on gradually in the form of stumbling or power dropouts.

I'm also with Dennis - it's unlikely fluids and filters will do anything, but it's always good to change them when it's about time and you're working on the tractor anyway. ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-06-12          163398

I don't think I said the filters were causing the problem but could have said "recommed" they be changed due to time limts and the possibility anyone could be clogged; with oil filter possibile reason for oil light and a clogged fuel or air filter can shut down an engine. But I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn express last night either. :) ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
loweplank

2009-06-13          163409

changed the fuel filter,oil and filter,both air filters,took a few minutes and jumping it with truck .it now runs thanks for the advice guys ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-06-13          163410

Hey hey hey, I'm happy to be wrong! Good job.

jd 4200

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-06-13          163414

Ken,let's give it a few hours before saying for fact it was clogged filters. At same time it only takes a little water in the fuel filter to shut a diesel down, well mine anyway. ....

jd 4200

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-06-13          163415

Lowe:

Just a wild quess...

I see you are from Macomb--as in Michigan? And (lowe)plank---as in Romeo Plank Road perhaps? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login