Go Bottom

JD 950 PTO

View my Photos
mchmj1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-12          168558

Looking to purchase a JD 950 (1986 supposedly), but concerned that the PTO grinds and is hard to encage with the clutch depressed. The seller cranked it without the key (said he forgot to bring it) so I guess that's why none of the lights worked and also mentioned that the tractor will start in gear and wanted me to be aware of that???
Tractordata.com shows that this tractor should have a two stage clutch (for tractors manufactoured after 1984)so why is it grinding while engaging the PTO?
As soon as the PTO does engage(jump in gear) the mower shaft starts truning even with the clutch depressed.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 950 PTO

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-13          168579

Do you understand how a two stage clutch works? Meaning there are two engagements to it. The first engagement is for the pto and the second one for the transmission. The reason I am asking is it being depressed fully to engage the PTO or just to the point for the gears? You should be able to "feel" those points when depressing the clutch if paying attention. If that is not it or the clutch is not properly adjusted think you have repair coming. Depending on the amount of grinding and how long it has been going on it may involved gears. There is more to it than the grinding as the whole system is taking a hard jolt when the pto is being engaged, tractor and cutter. You should engage the pto slowly, just like any clutch with a load on it.

Starting in gear could be a safety switch bad or bypassed.

Lights not working and cranking without key, how do you crank it without a key? Does it not have to be switched on to run? Or does it have a mechanical fuel cut off?

Me, I would want to know more or pass. Unless you are getting it at a price to cover these and the issues you are not aware of. To me it sounds like a machine that has not been cared for. ....

JD 950 PTO

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-02-13          168585

Mechanical fuel shut off. No decrnable feel, pause or separation when depressing the clutch. It felt as though the clutch were not being depressed when when shifting the PTO lever in and out of geat. Did not have any problem when putting tranny in gear with clutch depressed. Maybe it isn't a tw stage clutch, bur still no reason for the PTO to be that difficult to shift. ....

JD 950 PTO

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-13          168592

Total agree the clutch is not working correcting with the PTO for some reason. It does not matter whether single or two stage clutch it should not grind.

You are correct about what Tractor data shows. I would suggest you having a mechanic look at this. You might be able to stop in a local dealer and ask a few questions. I much rather pay a $100 or so and find out need to pass than to buy it and have major cost or you may pay and find out it is simple adjustment and great shape. ....

JD 950 PTO

View my Photos
jdgreen

2010-02-19          168715

It sounds like it is time for a clutch job. These two stage clutches lose the ability to release the pto clutch as the main clutch wears. If the main clutch is not slipping now, it probably will be soon. Be sure too get a quote on a clutch job before you buy. The prices on these are very expensive. A complete clutch assembly from JD is over $2000.00 for the part alone. usually a complete clutch is not needed. only worn parts need replacement. These are great tractors, just be sure you get it cheap enough to still be able to replace the clutch. Good Luck! ....

JD 950 PTO

View my Photos
jtdday

2013-07-02          187573

MCHMJ1, Now this is only what I would do, First- I would Make a second appointment to look at this tractor to hear it run and take a pin & paper, Second- Take note that this time he starts it with a key, If yes, thats good, then take down the SN#-XXXXXX. Third- Take that to the local dealer & tell them that you are looking to buy this used tractor and hand him or her the SN#, see if this is a local machine and then ask your tech questions and ask if they by chance have a service record on this tractor, History could be helpful!!! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login