Go Bottom

JD 4200 won t crank or start

View my Photos
Wroughten
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-02          168912

My JD 4200 will not crank or start. The starter will crank when jumpered but still doesn't start. I've checked the fuses and the relay clicks....I've also changed it and it still will not crank. I've by-passed all the safeties tha I'm aware of. Can anybody help me?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-02          168913

First off, welcome!!! What part of Canada?

Generally speaking, if the engine won't crank from turning the key, but does if you use jumper cables to it, it means a safety is locking it out.

It could also be a bad key switch though.

You say you by-passed "all the safeties that I'm aware of". You got the one that stops it from starting with the PTO engaged?

It's pretty common for that switch to be a little touchy, if the last time you used the machine the PTO wasn't returned completely to neutral it could still think the PTO is engaged and prevent the starter from cranking it over.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Wroughten

2010-03-02          168915

Thanks Murf

I'm from southern Ontario and the tractor is in northern Ontario at my cottage.
I've checked the key switch and it is fine. I shifted the PTO control in and out several times and crawled under to look for that switch but could not see it. I must admit that I didn't spend a lot of time looking for that switch as I was out in the snow and decided to do some research before I spent a lot more time on it. Do you know where that switch is located?
I'm not certain how the forward/reverse safety works but I tried it with the connector unpugged and with it jumpered. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-02          168917

As far as I know the PTO safety switch is inside the housing, that's the 'normal' spot for it, but it may be somewhere else though, I'm not up on the JD products much.

Does your machine have seat and clutch/brake safety switches also?

Finally, maybe knowing what you were doing the last time you ran it before the problem arose might offer a clue as to the culprit also.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
MWilliams@sumitomoel

2010-03-14          169214

The wires going to the pto switch on my 4200 are on the left side in the front of the axle and mine were caught on brush and broken. I jumpered them out and have not had any problems since. I hope you already have it running by now. ....

View my Photos
Wroughten

2010-03-14          169221

Thanks for the help. I haven't been up to my cottage but I'll be going next week and I'll fix the tractor then. I've gotten a service manual and it shows the positions of all the switches. The service manual has solved a lot of mysteries for me and the crank circuit is quite simple once you see it explained in the manual.
Thanks again ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login