Go Bottom

JD4300 won t start - what was that post way back when

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-07          169010

There is a known issue with JD4300's not starting. There was a post way back about some electrical part that was not a recall but possibly a JD technical note or some such. Do any of you TP veterans remember this. Vaguely I think it may have had something to do with actuating the fuel shut off solenoid and a part that would not supply enough juice to do the job.

Anyway my 4300 does NOT like starting in the cold. It cranks until the cows come home and nothing, then all of a sudden no explanation it roars to life, I'm sick of it.

If any of you with better memories than me could help me find the posts or point me in the right direction I'd be real appreciative.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-07          169012

When it's cranking is there smoke? If yes, what color? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-03-07          169013

Ann, this might be the thread you're looking for. ....

Link:   JD starting issues

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-07          169016

So far I haven't had the fuel solenoid problem with the prior 4300 or the 4310 I have now. So far only a minor problem, the battery and ground cableI
Ann;
Are you sure the manifold heater is working. I think the engines are identical, if I push the key in to activate the heater she starts on about the third or fourth time over even below zero.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2010-03-08          169026

Ann this is the quote from JDGREEN it solved my issues

There is a part called a thermistor that causes this problem. It does not allow the solenoid to energize long enough to overcome the oil in the solenoid. The thermistor should allow a surge of 20-30 amps when solenoid is activated. The thermistor is located behind the fuse panel. It is a small orange square plastic device that is soldered in the wiring behind the fuse panel. Just unbolt the panel and pull it out as far as you can. Cut the old thermistor out and solder or crimp the new on into place. The part number is LVU10323 and is around 5 bucks. Alot cheaper than a new solenoid.

It is a easy fix and if ur mechanical at all and have small hands it is a fairly easy fix. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2010-03-25          169505

Harvey and KW
Thats the one, thanks BIG time. I knew a bunch of you had better memories than I. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-29          169611

I don't know how easy it is to get to the thermistor, but on my skid steeris a resisting diode. It's a PIA if the loader arms are down when it blows, and it always is. Luckily mine is accessible once the fuse box cover is off and I contort myself to disconnect it--it's on a short pigtail in a molded rubber enclosure. Even still it blows about 3 times a winter (controls the 2-speed drive system). It's a $15 dealer part. When it blows there is no way to test it in the field other than the machine doesn't work.

Turns out it's a 50 cent Radio Shack part. So I cut away the old rubber and diode and twist-tie a new one in. This way I can visually inspect if it's blown (fried). I keep 4 or 5 more loose ones in the truck and needel nose pliers to graft in a new one. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login