Go Bottom

JD 4200 HST won t start and dash board lights not on

View my Photos
Calzwowz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-09          177855

Everything worked this morning except old battery.Mowed the 3 acres today after installing new battery. Finished job and shut off tractor. Cleaned it good of grass and dirt. Can't get it started and dash lights won't light up. Tried jumper cables...nothing. I keep it in the garage and do not wash it with water. I have read all about the Thermistor this afternoon. What else could it be. Panic attach as my tractor is outside and exposed to the elements. Help!!!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-09          177858

Simple things first. Check fuses. Make sure the grounds are all clean and tight. By clean I mean remove them, brush all rust, paint and corrosion out from the connection, then reattach. Make sure your battery cables are good (no crimp-on connectors, they are very flaky). If all that checks out try jumping the starter to see if it cranks (bypass the key switch).

View my Photos
Calzwowz

2011-04-10          177866

Thanks for the info. I did try the starter by bumping it with the positive jumper cable from my car. however I did turn on the key before bumping. Is that wrong. I have not checked all of the connections for rust and will do that this morning. I checked all of the fuses and they were ok. I am not very technical when it comes to problems and really appreciate the suggestion. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-10          177875

A Deere is designed like a deer: it survives sitting outdoors perfectly fine. And diesels don't care if the key is on or off so make sure it's in neutral and the brake is on.

Your clue is the dead dash. If not fuses or some master cut-off, has to be no battery power getting through or a bum key-switch or its wiring.

View my Photos
Calzwowz

2011-04-10          177876

You guys may be on to something. I just got it started from another battery in my car. I hooked the positive to the positive battery terminal on the tractor and the negative directly to the negative bolt bypassing the negative terminal on the battery. It worked and started just fine. Would this mean that the negative cable is bad? I cleaned all the terminal connectors on both positive and negative. Not sure what this means but it started and I parked it in the garage. Tried to start it back up in the garage...nothing. lights were dim. I haven't tried to hook up my car battery yet but will replace the negative cable and get a new battery. Replace it yesterday but believed it could be bad as well. I will let you know what I find out. Makes me wonder if my old battery was really bad. Thanks - Cal ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-04-10          177879

It wouldn't hurt to take the battery back to be load tested but if it won't start when jumping at the battery terminals then it's likely the ground cable is bad OR the engine ground strap is bad. Not sure how your engine is cabled but the "other" end of the cable (away from the battery) needs to be clean and tight. I'm assuming the other end attaches to the engine somewhere, if it attaches to the body then there should be another ground strap somewhere going from the body to the engine that also needs to be clean and tight. ....

View my Photos
Calzwowz

2011-04-10          177883

Well, you won't believe what I found. Pure luck. After connecting the jumper cables to the negative screw on the engine, it started right away and all dash lights came. 10 minutes ago I replace the negative ground cable from the battery with a heavy duty ground cable for a car and and the new battery was fully charged and pow....the dash light are on and the engined started and started and started. I had to drill out the car battery fitting so that it would fit the screw on the tractor....that's all. It is working great...thanks for helping with suggestion...who would have ever thought that a JD battery cable would have gone bad...I wonder how many of the Thermistors were replaced and all it was ... a negative cable to the bnatter. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-04-10          177886

Many starters, batteries, and alternators have been replaced because of cabling issues. For some reason people sometimes leap to the expensive solutions first.

Glad you got it going on the cheap.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login