Go Bottom

How to check hydraulic fluid level on JD 4200 HST

View my Photos
Calzwowz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-16          178004

Hello everyone. I have a JD 4200 HST. Does anybody know how to check the hydraulic fluid level. Is there a stick or what do you look at to see if you are low. I notice the fill cap located just above the top draw bar behind seat. But, how do you know how much fluid you have in the system.

Also, if the fill cap was loose would hydraulic fluid leak from there while in use.....notice a little fluid on rear of tractor. Please give me some ideas as to what I need to check.

Anyone know about a product that stops leaks called White something or other....

Cal

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-16          178006

Not sure about the 4200 but you might look for a clear sight glass on the rear case cover. The tractor must be on a level surface. I wouldn't put any type of stop leak in there, if it is in any way incompatible with lubrication properties, or materials, or temperature, or flow characteristics it could cause some very expensive repairs. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-17          178023

You should have a manual. Should be easy enough to get from a JD dealer or maybe online.

However the level gets shown, with engine oil, the full level is precise, and you can easily see it on the dipstick. Not the case with hyd fluid.

To help find the source of the leak, wipe clean all around and check after running. If that doesn't work, clean again and tape paper towels around.

If the level was full (improperly) when cold, heat expansion will force some out, typically through the filler cap. ....

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-18          178031

Auerbach--I am assuming from your post "full when cold" that the oil level should be full when hot. Is that correct? The next question would be how hot? Right after operating?
Thanks!
Mike ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-04-18          178036

The hotter the engine oil, the harder to see a clear line on the stick, so you can check when cold and not worry about heat expansion. Or at least wait a few minutes after shutdown.

Hyd fluid doesn't get as hot, but usually there's a greater volume of it, and you don't know how much is in cylinders that hold variable volumes.

That's why heat expansion must be catered to somehow. The usual is to leave several inches of headspace (not filling to the top), moreso if the fluid and the ambient temp are cold and the engine's off. Or you can operate the rig such that the fluid is as hot as it gets, move pistons to empty the cylinders, and check that the level doesn't reach the cap under those conditions.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login