Go Bottom

John Deere 5103 three point hitch stuck

View my Photos
Gatt5k
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-05-26          178625

I have a John Deere 5100. I let someone borrow it and when It was returned, I didn't notice that the Bush-hog on the back was left in the upright position. When I next went out to use the tractor, I found that the three point hitch would not lower itself down. Upon further inspection, I found that the 1/4" plate that held the rear pivot wheel was bent upwards. I can only imagine the amount of force needed to do that. I can also only assume that is would be the reason why the hitch will not lower down.

I have removed all of the hydraulic hoses to the hitch with no reaction. I assumed that because there was no pressure that the arms would drop down. I have tested to see if there is pressure on the hydraulic line, and the pressure is fine.

I also left the bush-hog on the back and tried to use the weight from it to push it back down, of course it did not work.

My next thought is that the arms on the hitch have been pushed past a certain point causing it to become stuck or jammed in place. I'm considering getting enough force on the arms (front loader pushing down on the arms) and see if it will break free.

Any other suggestions before I make the next step?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-26          178629

Many tractors have a stop-valve to lock the hitch from lowering. Don't know why a borrower would have closed it but might be worth checking. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-26          178637

Just a guess but the rear wheel probably is due to bogging down and being pulled out be chain hook there. Then being snatched. Then if what was pulling it was high enough to due it's height plus the tractor being bogged it could have claued the cutter to jump right high at in same jerk/pull action. Of course it be he was running too fast for rough cut mowing and caught a stump or such just right where wheel could not pivot and jerked it with enough force to have bent the wheel mount up. Want to go one step further, if the probably is due ot the cutter was push so high up to damage the lift system some how also inspect the PTO system as it is possible the shaft was jammed past where it could slide together and jamming the pto system on the tractor and cutter damaging one or both.

Don't forget this when you are asked about loaning the next time. Just say you know the last time I loaned it only cost me $??? how about since you are a friend I do go the work for free or recommend a good rental center.

By chance do you have any insurance that might help cover this? ....

View my Photos
Gatt5k
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-05-26          178643

@auerbach

Heh, I looked for the knob in question, I couldn't find where everyone else recommended it was, under the seat. I found one similar. I now know where the diesel dump is located. Still trying to find the Rockshaft Control Valve. Will try again over the weekend. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-05-27          178647

If you have a manual it will show the location. On my Kubota's they are below the seat on the sheet metal and not "under" the seat itself. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login