Go Bottom

John Deere 4555 3 point adjustment help

View my Photos
neJD4555
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-03          183748

I have a John Deere 4555 and I am needing a little help on adjusting the 3 point arms so they won't sway left & right. I would like them stationary so I can pull a gooseneck hay trailer behind it. It has a quick hitch on it now, and the quick hitch will hit the tires once in a while, also.
I see that there are 2 "block" pieces (sway blocks) on each side of the arms (down by the PTO) are those what I need to adjust or "flip around" to get them to hold still?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-04          183769

First I am no pro on John Deere and had thought this was smaller tractor but it seems to be larger (100 to 150 or so HP) tractor. Regardless of the model there is only two ways I have ever seen anti sway to be set up, either chains from the rear of the housing to the inside of each lift arms or chains or bars from below about the fenders back to the outside of the lift arms. It sounds like you have chains that run from below the fenders to the outside of the lift arms. If so you probably have blocks that have a stud with chain connected that screws into one end with left hand threads and on the other end with right hand threads so you can turn the block and tighter or loose the chain to limit the sway and even line up the hight to one side or the other or centered as most often is. Normally you leave some slack in there for seldom in the lift arc is there not a place where the chains or anti sway arms are tighter than in other parts of the arc.

Now for the gooseneck trailer you are pulling...be aware your lift will fly up with no warning if the trailer becomes light on the front end. This can be dangerous to people and equipment. The lift needs to be restricted so it can not happen. Chain down or such.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-08          183808

The blocks are the way to adjust your hitch side free travel. ....

View my Photos
neJD4555

2012-06-13          183874

Do we just unbolt them & flip them then? ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2012-06-14          183899

Yes, you can flip them 3 or 4 different positions. Narrow, wide, or high position that restricts sway only when hitch is up most of the way. Do you have an owner's manual? It would have pictures of different positions. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login