Go Bottom

Left Hand Gear shift stuck John Deere 2440 tractor

View my Photos
Sandersm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-05-01          190224

John Deere 2440 tractor with two stick gear shifts. For some reason I cannot get the left handed stick to move, making it impossible to put the tractor in half it's gears (including reverse). It feels entirely jammed or locked in. The right handed stick moves perfectly.

THIS COULD BE A VERY SIMPLE FIX, I AM NEW TO THIS TRACTOR MODEL.
ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-05-01          190231

First welcome to TP.

Did this happen at a once? Or got worse over time?
You can not move the lever period, right? If so then suspect something in the trans is damaged. Then it may be in a jammed due a load on it when you parked it or such.

Now if the lever moves and does not shift look for a roll pin missing from shift lever or linkage.

With engine off, and may need help, try rocking the tractor with pressure on the lever and see if that frees it. Possible something such as trash or rust has it stuck and rocking may free it. kt ....

View my Photos
Sandersm

2014-05-01          190234

It happened at once.
I can force the lever into the neutral slot but it is not really shifting, just bending.
So if the issue is that the trans is damaged, what would be the best course of action?
I will definitely try rocking it slightly.
THANK YOU ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2014-05-02          190239

This is probably an easy fix. Remove the tin cover over the shifters. slide the rubber boot up to the top of the shift lever. At the bottom of the lever is a snap ring that holds the ball in the cover that the lever pivots on. Pry that snap ring out and lift the shift lever out. The look down in the hole and you can see the two shift rails that the lever engages. There will be a slot in each shift rail that should be aligned with each other. Be sure the tractor is parked on a level spot where it won't roll. If not securely chock the wheel for the next step. With a long screwdriver or small pry bar. reah down through the hole and pry one rail forward or back to get the slots aligned. SOmetimes a piece of the slot may be broken or cracked that allows enough slop in the rails that gets the shifter jammed, but if you get the rails realigned and then install the lever down into the aligned slot, It should work again. It is sometimes possible to remove the shift cover that holds the levers and weld the shift rails to repair. If rail replacement is required, the tractor needs to be split and rockshaft removed to replace. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login