Go Bottom

4310 Load Match Jerking while driving

View my Photos
srichard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-06-23          190522

Hello all. First time Forum user. I hope I don't ramble with my issues. I have a 4310 E Hydro with approx. 1300 hours. I have had minimal problems with this unit, and up to this point I have been able to repair. This one is beyond me. I was mowing last week and notice the drive starting to Jerk in forward and reverse. The longer I was on the tractor the worse it got, to the point were it had slowed me almost to a stop. I put it away and got it out the next day. At first worked normal. After +-30 minutes of use the symptoms returned. I did some research and read many other forums on this site. I worked out that when I disengage the loadmatch the jerking goes away. Also notice a code flashing. Short... Long... Long... Short.
Does anyone know what this code is? Plus notice the cruise control stopped working. Haven't checked fuses yet.
I have read of a lot of fixes that people were going to try but I haven't seen anything concrete as to the problem. Several fixes I have read about are re-calibrating the unit, replace the control board, update the firmware on the board, replace the entire wiring harness, replace engine speed sensor along with many other sensors.
Most of these forums I have read were from early 2000's when e Hydro seeemed to be new. Unfortunately this unit is obviously out of warranty and funds wont allow to drop it off at the dealer and have them spend countless hours troubleshooting and hanging new parts in hopes to trip over the actual problem. I was hoping someone could update me if there have been any new fixes for this problem.
Thank you in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jdgreen

2014-06-24          190529

The short-long-long-short code is for the mfwd speed sensor. The computer uses that signal to determine ground speed and it adjusts ground speed according to this signal when in load match. The cruise control is disabled when this code is active. Most likely the sensor(LVA11184)is bad, but it could be a loose or corroded wire connection. Sensor is on left side of the transmission. ....

View my Photos
srichard

2014-06-24          190530

JDGreen. Thank you very much for the code interpretation and the tip on where to look. I usually have a terrible time identifying what I am looking for but I will crawl under and see if I can locate it. Do you know of any way to test the existing sensor or is replacing it the only method? If I find it needs replaced, would the unit need calibration? This is all new to me.
Thanks again for your advice and sharing your knowledge. ....

View my Photos
jdurb1

2014-06-26          190534

the load match I believe is only for using a bucket. if that button is pushed it will activate the code .if you bump the cruise it will activate mine is usually allways flashing. when the code is for real the tractor will be stuck in 4wd and that can cause jerking. when it wont move well or stiff turning it will activate the code but if 4wd is working properly it is usually the suction filter. and when low on hydro fluid it will do all kinds of funny things I would also go through all fuses moving from port to port can detect a problem when and if the sensor does go it is a difficult pain I took mine in and it cost me 120.00 I really cant remember at my age but I may have told them to just remove the stupid sensor ....

View my Photos
srichard

2014-06-26          190538

Here is an update. JDGreen, I took you advice and replaced the MFWD sensor, refilled the Hydro fluid and set out for another test run. Mowing this time. Again while still cool all working fine with the MFWD switch "on". After 15 minutes or so, the jerking resumed, getting worse as it got more warmed up to the point where I couldnt even maintain 1/2 normal speed. But this time there were no codes being displayed. Even for the whole 2 hours of mowing. While mowing I thought I would run some tests. With the MFWD switch "on" the jerking was evident. With the MFWD switch "off" the jerking went completely away and the tractor drove perfectly. Turn it on again... Jerking again. In my opinion my problem would be electrical, not hydraulic. Agree or Disagree??? Here is were it gets really strange. I started noticing while going forward there was jerking. When I turned Right the jerking was the same or worse. When I turned Left, the jerking was evidently less, not perfect but less. Even more strange, in reverse just the opposite response. Turn right and the jerking was evidently less, not perfect but less. And turn left the jerking was equal or worse. Any thoughts???
I didnt take the time to check the wiring harness for frays or bare wires, I suppose that will be my next step.
Would anyone have any ideas what all electrical devices, sensors, etc. that become active once the MFWD switch is turned on? and if there is anyway to troubleshoot or test those sensors to identify the issue?
I appreciate those who take the time to read my rambling. Any information and advice would be extremely helpful.
Thank you all!!!! ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2014-06-27          190541

Since your code went away, it is safe to assume the mfwd sensor was the cause of that. Since your problem seems worse when turning right, I am beginning to think you also have a mechanical problem in the front axle. Possibly a bearing siezing in left front wheel area since when turning right, weight shifts to left putting more pressure on those bearings and also the left wheel is turning a little faster when turning right. Have you checked oil in front axle? Have you ever changed oil in front axle? Try jackoing up front of tractor and turning front wheels by hand to see if they feel the same or if there is any looseness in the wheel bearings. For your question of what sensors come into play when in 4wd, then answer is none. When 4wd is engaged, the same sensors are working as in 2wd. ....

View my Photos
srichard

2014-06-27          190542

Im sorry. I think I am using the wrong terminology. When I typed MFWD switch, I meant the "Load Match" switch on the dashboard. The tractor works exactly the same in both 2wd or 4wd. I have had no indications of any mechanical resistance. I will check the front end anyway just in case. Let me rephrase the questions to, What electrical devices come into play when I turn on the Load Match button? In my mind, i feel my problem is electrical and need to identify all devices that are associated with using the load match system.
It is really strange that when i turn one direction the jerking becomes more frequent and longer duration but when i turn the opposite it is less frequent. One thought I have when thinking of this is I have a frayed wire or poor connection that is shorting out or becoming loose when i turn a certain direction. I tried to go across a slope to get additional weight or load on either side of the tractor, similar to what would happen when turning adding a small amount of side g-force. I didnt notice any change when doing this.
Again, Thank You for you experience and advice! ....

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-27          190543

I had a sensor problem once, although the problem was related to the fuel pump. There are 3 sensors. 2 are identical and are the least expensive at about $20. The 3rd sensor is more expensive at about $30-$50, I don't remember the exact price. I ended up purchasing the least expensive sensor and swapping with each of the two existing sensors. I was lucky the 2nd inexpensive sensor I swapped with was the root cause of the problem. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2014-06-27          190556

The other sensors that make the load match work is the throttle position sensor and the engine speed sensor. The engine speed sensor can cause the surging speeds also, just like the mfwd sensor. Depending on your serial number, it is either the same part number as the mfwd sensor and mounted in the bell housing or the sensor could be built into the alternator. ....

View my Photos
srichard

2014-07-05          190637

JD Greeen. Thanks again! Ive been away from this for a bit. I took the right side of the tractor apart and found a sensor in the bell housing just behind the engine. This must be the Engine speed Sensor you mentioned. Is the Throttle position sensor and engine speed sensor one in the same or are they 2 separate sensors?
Thanks again!! ....

View my Photos
srichard

2014-07-05          190638

Just an update. I took the cowling off around the dashboard and found what I think is the Throttle position Sensor. Just to see what would happen, I took the tractor for a test drive with the Load Match Switch in the ON position. Of course it was jerking. While driving, I unplugged the Throttle Position Sensor. After a couple of seconds, the jerking stopped and the forward movement was as smooth as if I turned the Load Match Switch off. The computer started flashing a code Short...Short...Short...Long. I assume meaning Throttle Position Sensor Malfunction. My guess is when I unplugged the sensor the computer saw the input was no longer there and defaulted out and changed the drive operation to standard as if the Load Match Switch had been turned off. I know this does not prove the Throttle position Switch is bad, but that is all I have to go on right now. If you have any other thought as to what may be malfunctioning, I would appreciate you input.
Any other thoughts to my madness?
Thank you in advance. I do appreciate all your advice.
Steve ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2014-07-05          190641

You are correct. THe short, short, short, long code is for the throttle position sensor voltage out of range. When this code is active, that load match is disabled and that is why your symptoms go away. A thought just occurred to me.. Maybe you should check all of your engine mounting hardware. If the side frame bolts or bell housing bolts are loose, it might allow enough flexing of engine in the frame while turning to cause the flywheel sensor to malfunction. If bolts are all tight, I would replace the engine speed sensor, or at least swap the mfwd sensor and flywheel sensor to see if anything changes. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login