Go Bottom

John Deere 4310 reverse problem

View my Photos
Rsimon804
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-04-29          192677

I recently picked up a 2004 JD4310 w/power reverse (1200hrs) as a project tractor. The owner said it wouldn't start and it was weak in reverse. I fixed the starting issue, changed ALL fluids and filters, cleaned the screen intake filter, and lubricated all the clutch linkages. It works perfectly except its still weak in reverse. When I engage reverse (via power reverser or using the clutch) there's about a 5 second delay before it moves(no delay for forward). It feels like it's struggling to get into reverse. It will reverse 1st- 4th gear in range A and 1st-3rd in range B. After that it's too weak. Once it's moving in reverse it is strong(I pulled a 3000lb block of concrete). The higher the gear, the longer it takes to engage. Higher RPM's do not speed anything up.I have swapped the forward and reverse solenoid valves and transducers which didn't make any differance. The tractor isn't flashing any codes and the light does work. The only other thing is it will not disengage the 4wd but that shouldn't affect reverse and I just haven't got to trouble shoot that yet. I do have the service manual but I'm hoping someone has run across this before. Thanks in advance for any information.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-05-01          192694

I'm not familiar with how it is built but. I'd say you have a reverse clutch pack that needs to be rebuilt or has a major leak. ....

View my Photos
Rsimon804

2015-05-02          192696

Yeah. I've gotten a little deeper into it and I'm assuming the same. The thing that's throwing me off is when I switch the forward/reverse wiring the delay disappears but it's still weak in the higher ranges in reverse. ....

View my Photos
rafjr64

2018-05-25          197761

Did you have ever get this resolved? Nice to report back with progress/solutions. ....

View my Photos
Rsimon804

2018-05-25          197765

The problem was resolved. I ended up splitting it in my shop and found a $5 seal was split. The clutches were worn uneven so I took it completely down to replace them and found a snap ring that was not staying in place. The grove for it was on the very end of a splined shaft that ties the two clutch packs together. 3/4 of the 1/32 of splines were gone. I replaced the shaft, clutch packs and seals. It’s been a while but it was around $1300 for everything. I built a nice adjustable rolling dolly for the front half. It only took about 4-6 hours of labor but my local John Deere took a month and a half to get my parts order correct and at the dealer. It’s pretty crazy being I brought them an itemized print out with ever part number and amount. It took longer to take all of the cosmetics off than it did to split and repair. ....

View my Photos
Rsimon804

2018-05-25          197766

The problem was resolved. I ended up splitting it in my shop and found a $5 seal was split. The clutches were worn uneven so I took it completely down to replace them and found a snap ring that was not staying in place. The grove for it was on the very end of a splined shaft that ties the two clutch packs together. 3/4 of the 1/32 of splines were gone. I replaced the shaft, clutch packs and seals. It’s been a while but it was around $1300 for everything. I built a nice adjustable rolling dolly for the front half. It only took about 4-6 hours of labor but my local John Deere took a month and a half to get my parts order correct and at the dealer. It’s pretty crazy being I brought them an itemized print out with ever part number and amount. It took longer to take all of the cosmetics off than it did to split and repair. ....

View my Photos
rafjr64

2018-05-26          197767

Thank you. Glad to hear you got it resolved. Idiots at the JD dealer. Blows my mind how they lack any urgency at the customer service level. Mine is the same way. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login