Go Bottom

John Deere 970 will not crank fuel solenoid does not work

View my Photos
Turfguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-09-15          193685

Hello everyone, I have an old John Deere 970 that started stuttering when we were using it and then died. I was able to crank it again but it did the same thing so we towed it into our shop. It has fuel so we ruled that out. It currently will not even turn over when using the key switch. We jumped the starter to make sure that was not the problem. We then used jumpers on all of the safety switches and it still will not turn over or energize the fuel solenoid. We replaced both of the small relays and that did not help. Currently we are looking at the control relay but due to price I would rather not have to purchase it ($250) just to see if that is the problem (if I knew for sure it was bad I would replace it). We pulled it apart and it looks like it may of gotten hot in a few areas. is there a way of testing this relay? Can you do away with the relays and go to a more conventional method like my older tractors use? (manual on off lever).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-09-15          193693

Tell me what kind of electrical problem would cause it to sputter? Is it a gas engine? If diesel I thought only a shortage of fuel or air would cause the engine to sputter.

So going with my thoughts: check the air intake carefully to be sure no restriction such as insect nest or plastic bag sucked into it. The do check the fuel, just because there is fuel in the tank means nothing about it getting to the cylinder. Could be bad fuel, water in fuel, clogged filter or injector pump not working. You can test to see if lack of fuel is issue when you get it "cranking" again with spraying short blast of WSD40 into the intake. If it fires while doing so but will not continue to run fuel is not getting to the cylinders for some reason.

Now why will it not "crank" over now. I do not know the electrical system and testing as you are is the best I could suggest. What happened when you jumped the starter? kt ....

View my Photos
Turfguy

2015-09-16          193704

well if the fuel solenoid does not engauge or stay enguaged (which is electrical) then the unit will not run, hence force not getting fuel!
When jumping the starter it will crank over but will not start due to the solenoid not working (and that is good because we can jump it off to make it enguage). This tractor seems to run off of relays and a computer module that appear to not be working properly. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-09-16          193709

If I understand your last post then you know the issue is the fuel solenoid is not getting steady power to it. I was talking with a JD dealership Mechanic the other day on such and he said on some JD equipment the input and output voltage is not the same. (We were talking excavators at that time.) But my guess is the solenoid itself uses 12 volts. If that is true then find terminal on the switch that is powered when the switch is on and not when off and run to the fuel solenoid. That may work. But you should be able to test it with a jumper wire if need be from the battery and to test and see if that is it. ....

View my Photos
Turfguy

2015-09-16          193710

Thanks for the input but unfortunately this JD uses a relay switch (actually 2) which turns the fuel solenoid on. I have already thought of what you speak of as that the simplest this to do but due to the relay switch I am not completely sure the solenoid is run off of 12 volts (due to the relay it may require less. I do not want to try the easy way out only to find it now cost me a new solenoid also.

I really need to get info on the master control box because I am pretty sure that is where the issue is.

Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-09-17          193719

Maybe you have a JD shop that does not mind talking with you and may even print you off the wiring diagram. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login