Go Bottom

Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

View my Photos
tractorlover
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-12          54759

I recently purchased a JD 4310. Of course the dealer says that I should only use official JD 15W40 oil. Is there any problem with using 15W40 from any store with standard automotive ratings? Any thoughts on this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-12          54768

Some oils are rated for gas engines only. You will see ratings like SE, SF or SG on the container.

The oils rated for diesel engines usually cross over into the gas engine realm and will have codes like SF/CD or SE/CF or it may say something like "exceeds CF-4".

The important thing is to read you owners manual and get the standards listed there. My 4100 can use CC, CF or CF-4 depending on the weight and viscosity of the oil.

I use a synthetic that exceeds all of these standards. Mobil 1, Shell Rotella Synthetic and several others exceed all known ratings. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-12          54769

diesels and auto's need two different types of oil. Look for a good diesel oil. There are other makes as good. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-13          54772

TL all of the grading has been hit. If you wanna see the most of the best oils look in a truck stop. The #1 seller is shell rotella. There are 2 others that are sold and some fleet owners have their own smaller brands. Don't buy your oil at a truck stop. Go to wally world or other discount auto parts store. My JD does not use any oil between changes am changing at 100 hr interval.

The synthetics are ok if you are using your equipment 40+ hours a week. Generally you should change the oil a couple of times a year even if you do not get the hours on it. Using a very expensive oil just to drain it with out the hours on it seems a waste to me.

There will be some that will say for what small amout of oil used the cost is not a problem. Then I would suggest just use the JD oil.

Good Luck Harvey ....

View my Photos
psimonson

2003-05-13          54779

I used Shell Rotella with great results in my old Ford Powerstroke diesel pickup and just wanted to pass on the fact that it is available in both Sam's Club and BJ's for around $33 for a case of 6 plastic gallons. That's far better than truck stop and part store prices around here if you have a wholesale club nearby. ....

View my Photos
jd2210

2003-05-13          54793

Rotella is very popular. I currently use Valvoline Pre. Blue, 15W40 formulated for Diesel's from Walmart. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-13          54827

Has anyone had experience with the Walmart full synthetic oil? I believe it is called Super Tech, can't recall for sure. They have all grades available and I am sure they don't make it themselves so it must be from one of the major companies. I just purchased six quarts to try in the wife's jeep, have been running Quaker State which was less than a buck a quart, the synthetic Wally oil is 2.97. I thought this might stretch the oil change interval out a bit since she is running 500 miles a week now. Was changing around 3k and figured I would go between 4-5k with the synthetic and a good filter. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-13          54832

Walley World will normally sell their branded item and the original manufactures oil side by side. If you look at the packaging you can track down the manufacturer. Using this method of deduction I would say the Wally World oil is Texico Havoline. Does anyone have a better idea?
The shell Synthetic Rotella T is 12.88 for a gallon again or 3.22. I would make sure that the synthetic is rated for diesels. It will burn like reqular oil auto oil if it does not have the antiburn additives.
I made that mistake once when I got my first used diesel tractor. I thought it had a bad engine as the oil quickly disappeared. Switched to regular CF rated oil and no burn. Boy was I relieved. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-13          54840

WalMarts house brand synthetic is rated for gas engines only. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-05-13          54845

I use and love the Shell Rotella 5W40 100% synthentic with the soot control sold by WalMart rated for diesels for my Kubota B-2150. I change it twice a years whether it needs it or not. Starts great in the winter too!!! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-14          54850

The Jeep is not a diesel, so the synthetic Wally oil is no problem. I looked for large containers of major brand synthetic, but all that's available in this area Wally seems to be petro based. ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-14          54857

With about $20k invested, I would get the best oil possible for the application. My Century has the same engine as a JD 4710. Once broken in, I will switch to this oil and keep good records. If there is ever a problem, I'm covered to the tune of about $6 grand. Worth a few extra bucks once a year.
Pacesetter ....

Link:   JD Oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-14          54858

My local Wally just got in 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 and it is priced at $18.88

The 4 quart bottles of Rotella is still the better deal. I plan on going there today and stocking up while the price is down. I plan on putting it in everything. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-14          54860

I must be looking at the wrong times Mark, never seems to be there when I stop on my way home from work. The Shell is the way to go, read many posts on the web pimping the virtues of it. I recall someone stating the oil change interval could be doubled with it, and that is what I would strive for on our commuter vehicles. The time interval is never met, always the miles that pile up within a few weeks. The sun finally came out after three days of rain and gloom, behind in the mowing so away I go! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-14          54862

Here is the warranty statement Pacesetter refereed to:

John Deere Company guarantees Plus-50 Engine Oil will meet or exceed the performance needs of diesel engines. Regardless of hours or miles, John Deere Company will pay for any damages (parts and labor) to your engine which are caused by an oil defect so long as:

The oil defect is verified by oil analysis.
The engine oil used is confirmed to be unadulterated and non-contaminated Plus-50.
Plus-50 meets the engine manufacturer’s specifications for the service and application.
The engine is used under normal operating conditions and maintained according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
To secure warranty service, report the product failure to an authorized John Deere Dealer.

To make a claim under this warranty, it will be necessary to provide the following, as part of the technical investigation:

Records showing that the engine was serviced according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Submit an oil sample for the failed engine for analysis to determine if oil is defective.
Make available the failed engine.
John Deere disclaims all liability for indirect or consequential damages.

Your rights and remedies pertaining to this warranty are limited as set forth herein. Implied warranties of merchantability and fitness are not made and are excluded.

Pretty interesting stuff. Might be worth the extra cost. Not so much for my homeowners tractor which averages less than 100 hours a year, but this might perk up the ears of those of you who have diesel pick-ups and really high use farm equipment.

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-14          54870

Cutter;
I also noticed the price and made the comparison but was looking for regular oil for a quick oil change, to a friends chevy with poor oil pressure. (Replaced the pump but it had gone too far with the bearings)
Anyways did look at the containers to see if I could determine who made it. Unfortunately I did not look further to check the codes.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Havoline synthetic, but have never tried it. In my Ford truck I had gone to the Quaker semi. I found it performed nearly as well as the synthetic, very little discoloration between changes. I used a full on the volvo turbo as the high reving four and the turbo put a lot of stress on the oil. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-14          54879

At this point Eric, the synthetic is still costing considerably more unless I can get comfortable with the longer interval between changes. If I double the interval, I save $6 on the filter and $6 on the Quaker State I was using. Total savings of $12, just the difference in oil cost between the petro and Synthetic. Hopefully the synthetic is better for the vehicle, but the main objective is to save the time spent under it every six weeks.

As far as that J/D oil is concerned Mark, I am not so sure an engine failure due to oil defect in a well maintained machine is much of an issue. If I were going to buy into a plan, I think the one Quaker State offers for free as long as you use their oil is less restrictive and certainly would cost less (because their oils cost less). It does not require that the oil be defective to pay out either.

I use WIX filters on all but my Kubota due to the manufacturer support they provide. The Kubota is still under warranty and those filters are the same price as the WIX, so the choice is obvious. Well, lunch is over so its back to the Kubota! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-14          54895

Cutter, what oil change interval are you observing on your commuter vehicles? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-15          54940

Mark,

I try to stick to 3k but due to scheduling they run over at times. When following that schedule, I use Quaker State oil and a decent filter. It's the time interval that is bugging me. If I could double that by using synthetic, I would be happy. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-15          54942

just change mine with 34 hours on the clock with plus 50, logged it in manaul along with reciept in case of future warranty work . didn't want to have problem down the road by not using recomended oil while it's still un warranty.I want to run synthetic but been hearing to wait untill at least 100 hrs. well 66 more to go first. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-15          54946

Tractorlover,

Let's look at this in perspective. Where is the logic in spending the better part of the way to $20,000 for a tractor and then scrimp to save maybe a dollar or two at most on an oil change? John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 is not that much more than any comparable oil (in fact I paid $1.29 a qt. buying the 55 gallon drum). It is about the best non-synthetic oil on the market and it is recommended by Deere (I believe Chevron makes it for Deere). John Deere filters are made by Fleetguard (again one of the best filter manufacturers on the market. You change the oil every 200 hours after the first 50. So being overly cautious.......say once a year? Buy the John Deere Plus 50 oil and filter and be done with it. I use this oil & filter in my 4410 and in my Cummins diesel. I have about 3500 miles on this change of oil in my Cummins and it still looks like I just put it in. (stays very clear and clean) John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 is the most up to date oils on the market; it is rated CI-4. Bottom line is, it is your tractor and your perogative as to what lubricants you use. Here is some sales and info. on John Deere oils for some background. ....

Link:   John Deere Oil Info. Link

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-05-16          54983

Chief,

Clear and clean??? I have NEVER seen oil that comes out of a diesel engine clear and clean even after a rebuild. By its very nature a diesel is burning #2 diesel and the oil in ANY diesel picks up the the soot particles produced by combustion even after 15 minutes. I would travel any place to see a diesel engine's oil with 3500 miles on it that was the same color as the oil out of the bottle or can. Show me. I ain't buying it with a soot producing diesel. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-16          54986

Jeff, pack your bug spray, you're goin' to Canada !!!!

My Powerstroke-powered Ford gets fresh 'blood' every 5,000 km's. (3,000 miles), always Shell Rotella, and a Fleetguard filter. The stuff comes out just barely darker than when it goes in, EVERY time.

By the way, pack your fishing rod too, the Muskie are biting... but watch out for our beer, it packs a whallop.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-16          54988

How you like sweltering heat, humidity, mosquito's, tornadoes, and floods Jeff. The river is too high right now but who knows, the fish just may be biting in the backwaters. Come take a look for yourself. I see you own a Kubota. There is your reason for the black oil. I had an L245 and for some reason immediately after fire up the oil was black. No amount of flushing changed it. Not so on my Cummins and Deere. Mind you , most of my trips are 30 miles or more and several hours on the tractor when I use it. I think the Fleetguard filters may have something to do with keeping the oil cleaner. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-16          55000

I am amazed to hear that could happen. I have seen gas engine oil come out clean, used to change the H/P muscle car oil every 1500 miles. Never have I seen it on a diesel, no matter what brand. I have run Case, J/D and Ford construction machinery as well as helped maintain fire fighting apparatus as a volunteer fire fighter and the oil has always come out carrying the combustion contaminants with it. I am going to the oil filter site next to see how small a particle those filters will extract, I'll bet is is not much different than the rest. I do intend to try the Shell oil. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-17          55020

Cutter, the reason I asked about your oil change interval was to tell you that I have already done that experiment.

I started using Mobil 1 back in the 70's when they advertised 25,000 mile oil changes. I don't think I ever went that far. My rule has been to change once a year, usually in the fall.

Over the years my vehicles have been used between 7,000 and 15,000 miles a year so those have been the oil change intervals.

In the period that I used synthetics, I can remember using it in 12 vehicles to date, not counting the odd police cruiser that got the syn treatment from the city shop.

Four of the twelve have needed head gaskets replaced: one at 61,000 miles, another at 77,000 miles, a third at 97,000 miles and the last somewhere around 50,000.

In each case there was no discernible or measurable wear on any viewable surface. In fact, in each case, including the 74 Datsun at 97K and 11 years, the cross hatching on the cylinder walls was still plainly visible.

Also keep in mind that most of these vehicles were used under extremely harsh conditions; -40 degree starts, towing maximum loads up and down mountain passes and very dusty roads.

All that to say this: I have absolutely no doubt that you can safely extend your oil changes with quality synthetics.

In this moderate "lower 48" climate, on vehicles used for highway commuting, I would have no qualms, no fears, no hesitation going 15,000 miles between changes.

But you can also change based on the increased cost and be in extremely safe territory. If you are paying 3 times as much for syns as compared to dino oil, just change at the 9,000 mile mark and you will not even work the oil hard. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-05-17          55025

Well lets see. I had a new GM 6.2 diesel I changed religiously every 2500 miles with Mobil Delvac 1200 and 1300 it came out black and was black in 15 minutes after an oil change. I had a JD 2010 diesel and a 4020 diesel, both came out black even after a clean job with tranny fluid being run for 30 minutes. My brother and I completely re-built a Ford 4000 diesel top and and bottom and it went black after 30 minutes. Only engine that I ever owned that the same color as the oil went in was a Mercruiser 2.5 GM Iron Duke 4 cylinder. I have a Ariens/Kohler 14 hp that just changed with 15W40 Chevron Delo Diesel oil that now has 3 hours on it and it is still honey colored. My brother is a Regional Tech Rep for Komatsu and has seen every piece of diesel contruction equipment made and has Never seen diesel oil come out of ANY diesel engine less than BLACK. If there is a oil filter out there that filters soot I havent found it because I have used them ALL. A soot particle is real small and must go through conventional filtration techniques???? Who makes a Fleetguard filter?????
I'm a tournament walleye fisherman, where we fishing? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-17          55028

Mark,

I may try that. The Jetta my wife purchased new in '97 came with free oil changes every 6k. In fact, they did not want me to change the "break-in"prior to that. I did not own the car long enough to test their theory, she was working in town and only drove a few miles a day. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-17          55029

Jeff,

Fleetguard makes Fleetguard filters and they make John Deere filters too (I believe they are a subsidiary of Cummins). I believe Chevron makes the Plus 50 oil for John Deere. Fleetguard is introducing a new Venturi Combo oil filter which combines a full flow and bypass filter in one. Can't wait until they manufacture these for my Cummins. ....

Link:   Fleetguard Filter Link

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-17          55031

I guess we can honestly say we are over 25 when the introduction of a new oil filer is exciting to us :> When did you say they will be out chief??!!! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-17          55040

Cutter, I think the filters are already out but not for many different applications just yet. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-20          55170

Jeff, no wonder the oil is black, GM diesels were affectionately known as "Oshawa Oil-Burners" (after the name of the town where the GM factory was) for a long time, until they became Isuzu's.

The fish are about 6 hours east up the 401, come on over.... ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-05-20          55215

Murf,

My 6.2 GM Diesel was made in Moraine Ohio. I thought Oshawa was an assembly plant since my 1994 Chevy extended cab says it was built there? My 6.2 had 450,000 miles on it when I sold it and never was more than 1/8 of an inch low on the dipstick between oilchanges. I had it since it had 35,000 and it averaged 25 miles per gallon not pulling anything and 22 miles per gallon pulling my 2000 pound boat. A little under powered though at 140 hp.

Lake Erie West of Rattlesnake Island .....average weight 6 pounds. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55630

I use the Valvoline Blue max 15-40 in my Duramax but in the tractor I will stick with the JD oil. Its not more than a couple of dimes more here. I might be wrong but isn't the JD oil for diesels a synthetic blend ? ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-05-26          55651

My step father ran shell rotella -t in his case skidder, ford 9000 and the jd 350 dozer up until he retired.NEVER had oil related problems.
My DAD runs AMSOIL synthetic with there filters on thier 20,000 mile intervel program with a bypass filter and has over 300,000 on a dodge cummings turbo diesel(bought the truck new).THIS TRUCK EARNS ITS KEEP!!!
I use rotella in everthing I own even gas engines.With no problems so far . ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56439

Thanx for the tip on the AMSOIL. I have been putting so many miles on my Duramax that I have been changeing the oil every month. I am going to try the Amsoil and their filters. Has anyone here installed the two filter Amsoil system and was it difficult ?? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-03          56447

If you are speaking of the bypass filter system, I put one in years ago.

It all depends on how much room you have under the hood, how accessible the engine compartment is and if there is a lot of junk in the way. I put it on a 79 Ford van and it had lots of smog cannisters/pumps/hoses to work around.

I'm guessing that there is plenty of room to work in that diesel engine compartment. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56948

The 15W-40 or the 0W-40 Plus 50 is the way to go, using the John Deere or Fleetguard filters. The secret to keeping the oil in top condition is to spoon in 2 pints of Homer's Duck Butter at each oil change and that sucker will run as clean as Martha Stewart's Feminine Hygene Botanical Splash. <;o) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56950

Hey that Duck butter is from not doing enough sit ups ! I just wanted to say thanx for the link to ginos Garage. I actually received My Fuel Filter today ! How was that for fast ? 2 days !! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56954

Geno's Garage is great folks and great prices. I get all of my oil, fuel, and air filters from them in what they call the "421 kit". They also carry all the good diesel hot rod stuff too. ....

View my Photos
longhorns

2003-07-01          58654

I noticed in one post that someone recommended not changing to the full synthetic until 100 hours. How hard and fast is that number? What's the downside of changing earlier, like at around the 50 hour mark/first scheduled oil change? Does it make a difference if the operating conditions are particularly harsh, like daily temps near 100 much of the year? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-01          58659

Longhorns, the logic behind NOT putting synthetic in until you have put a few hours on the machine is that synthetic is TOO slippery to allow the engine (or tranny) to work in properly. A certain amount of wear is actually REQUIRED for the various parts to seat properly against the mating parts, if you do not allow this to happen is can actually shorten the life of the equipment.

My dealer, who sees a LOT of CUT's, both from personal use (homeowner) customers and from professional user's such as myself, recommends running regular oil for at least the first 200 hours, but changing the oil every 50 hours for that time.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-01          58660

longhorns, the JD engines come with break-in oil in them from the factory. This enhances the break-in wear that Murf was referring to. I would suggest using the non-synthetic oil for at least until you get past 100 hrs. or more. Cummins recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 20,000 miles to accomodate break-in of the engine. Unless you use your tractor in a very cold or extremely hot climates, you will not get much benefit from the synthetics. I personally change my oil every 50 hours but that is not much more than annually. You should be fine with the Rotella oils as well. I buy my oil in bulk 55 gallon drums from John Deere and get the 15W-40 Plus 50 for $1.29 per quart. I use more with the Cummins and the 4410 so it is economical and practical. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-01          58663

One Thing is for sure you have to us the break in oil for the 50 hours or you could well void your warranty. I asked my dealer about this as well. He said you could go with the synthetic at 50 hours as that is the rated break in time by JD. I do want to point out that we were talking about my machine which holds a whopping 2.1 quarts. lol. He also said there probably would not be much gain for the annual hours I would use it. That might be true and the JD brand offers a synthetic blend that is reccomended but I intend to use the Shell Rotalla syntheic in the truck so I will probably use the same in the tractor after the fifety hour break in. I really dont see any difference why you would wait 100 vs 200 etc if The factory says its broken in and seated in 50 hours. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-01          58665

Doc, I think there is a difference, probably more personal opinion than anything else mind you, between 'broken in' and 'broken well & completely'.

Part of it may also be that few people actually run the machine according to the recommendations in the operators manual during the break-in period, thus the extra hours allows for extra 'settling'.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-01          58667

Murf, cant argue with that. It would be nice if the manufactures made it more difinitive though. Either way, I would think synthetic better in the end, although the cost Vs Value pill can be hard to swallow. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-01          58668

I've often thought about trying synthetic, at least on a trial basis, but with the amount of hours we rack up that pill would be a bitter one indeed. This time of year EACH of our machines does between 80 - 100 hours a WEEK (with the exception of my new toy which has a whopping 168 hours on it so far)... Even just the price of the Amsoil filters would be hefty at that rate. We run Shell Rotella in everything, it is delivered in bulk and the service truck has a 55 gallon tank on board. It is the most cost effective way of maintaining the fleet we have found so far and we have never had a wear-related failure yet.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-01          58672

Hey murf do you have driver cages on those machines so you dont get beaned by a gilfer like me ? lol ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-01          58673

The boys don't shower enough or something, they don't let us on the course while there's members around, LOL.

Seriously, we VERY seldom ever do any kind of work on a course while it's open for play, either it's just being built, or the management closes the area we're working on.

That, and believe it or not we're forbidden from putting cages on them, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations say that we can't add anything to the machine "which would hamper the operator's means of ingress or egress" in other words if it affects the operator's ability to get on & off the machine it's a 'no-no'. It's interesting however that a cab is OK, just not a ball cage, go figure. Considering there was death on one of the courses up here last year when a machine slid downhill and into a pond rolling, over on top of the operator and pinning him underwater resulting in him drowning, I guess I can see some logic to it but I suspect it's one of those 'everybody suffers just in case' deals.

Maybe we should arrange a tournament, I spent 20 years on courses but never manged more than about 3 or 4 games a year, now that I'm not working and theoretically have time for it, the "Honey-do" (honey do this... honey do that...)list is getting too long for it still, LOL.

Best of luck ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-01          58674

Murf, any fireworks in your neck of the woods today ? Dont you know by now the work is never done. when you get the "Honey Do" list you have to sing the Honey Do song. You know...Honey Do..Honey Don't...Got a Honey that should but Wont ! lol. I sold my clubs a couple of years back, just had no time. I traveled a lot for a while and did a Lot of fly fishing. A fair amount of it chaseing Atlantic samon in Quebec. That was one of my favorite driveing trips around the Gaspe because I would stop in Montreal for a steak dinner at my favorite restaurant in the world. Que de Cheval. They have a massive indoor grill. Gotta take a cab that night cause the wine list is pretty long too. Of course it didn't hurt that I could run by the Cas Del Habano for some after dinner and tall tale smokes. I sold all of my fly fishing gear earlier this year. I tell you, no joke if I knew then what I know now I would not have spent the last few years investing in my 401k, I would have bought fly rods and reels. Prices went up so much in the last seven years I sold all of my used stuff for more than I paid for it. I really only have time for the properties now and even that gets to be a pain in the rear sometimes. No doubt before my ticket is up I will probably give up the shooting sports for a Larger lakeside retreat. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-01          58675

LOTS of fireworks around here tonight, luckily the biggest one is out over Lake Ontario. I went to the butcher shop earlier and picked up a couple of steaks and I'm heading down to the boat shortly to fire up the BBQ and open a bottle of Lindemann's Bin 65 (Chardonnay from Australia) or three and wait for the show to start. Heck, I'll even spark up a Cohiba in your honour after dinner, will a nice 7" Esplendido suffice, LOL.

I can relate to the lakeside thing, my wife has been pushing me to sell the house and move a little north to a waterfront place instead of trying to maintain the house and the cottage both. We'll see.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-01          58677

Sounds like a plan. I'm packing up now, steaks are ready. Its a Three Palms Duckhorn Cabernet for me, Cohibas will work but I'd opt for a Trinidad or a Bolivar Bellacoso Fino Cabinet selection, Ahhhhh...The good life. Enjoy and be safe there pard, its usually the other fellow you have to watch out for. A perfect day for Canada Day. Cheers ! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-01          58685

I did the cottage/house deal as well. Too much to take care of unless you can afford a grounds-keeper. I moved close the the lake and my intended mooring is less than a mile from me. Now all I have to do is finish the maintenance on my boat this year so I can enjoy those trips up the St Lawrence again! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-02          58711

Murf: I am going to have to lower your pedestal one notch.

White wine with steak? Oh my God! Well at least you are not drinking beer with it. I will refer you to Docs recommendation. Red wine. Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Do you know about the "French Paradox". You should. Red wine is good for the heart. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-02          58716

Mark, Doc, I've never been that much of a conformist, I only drink red with Italian food, and I RARELY do what the French do anyways, LOL.

If it's any consolation, I finished the wine before dinner and only had Drambuie with the cigars.... LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58815

Murf, How were the fireworks ? There were so many people makeing the trip up north this year I came home. lol. The traffic going north on I-75 was stopped bumper to bumper for an easy 100 miles. They should put that on reality Tv. I didnt want to say anything about Murfs wine faux paux. I guess I figure its his boat and he knows what makes it float,lol. My wife would have been consumeing that Drambuie with ya murf, thats her favorite, I go for the Grand Marnier. But then she drinks scotch too. It used to be a bit funny at salmon camp when she would break out the scotch with the guys. It was always good for a few dumbfounded looks. I guess I really am getting old when I think about it, I always travel the opposite direction of the crowd. What are the fourth plans at your homestead Mark ? Fireing up the Barbie with Red meat I trust. Enjoy ! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-04          58826

OK, how did we get from an oil change discussion to wine tasting? I'm going to take it even further, I have a trade set up for next week on that 1873 for a skeet gun Doc. Two e-mails the day I posted on your suggested website. So what kind of boats are we cruising on, sail or power? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58829

Hay I sold Mine a few years back so I am going to hop a ride with you or murf. I personally prefer to go stink boating and toss a line so I can opretend I'm fishing but sail works well for me too. Glad to hear you have a trade set up for a new skeeter. We should get to gether and shoot sometime. What are you going to get ?? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-04          58834

This trade was meant to happen it seems (if it works out). The other party has a Winchester skeet gun, semi auto 12 ga. He shoots trap and has a favorite gun for that so the auto has not been used. He ended up with it in exchange for some money he was owed while he was in the contracting business some years ago. The best part of this is that he is only a two hour drive from me, so we are meeting half way next week to check them out. He already owns an 1873 in pristine condition and wants the stock from mine, along with a parts supply. Makes me sad that mine will be the parts supply, but it is a bit rough.

I am going to start a wine and yachting thread next to discuss our preferences??? I think you are a long way from me to shoot together on Sunday morning Doc, unless you are using some mighty special loads. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-04          58839

My coon dog has developed an cyst under her left front teat. Anyone have any experience with this? <;o) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58841

cutter, I guess that depends on where in Oh you are. I am only an hour from Toledo. Heck I drive 8 hours just to see how the deer food is growing.lol. Sounds like you could have a real nice trade set up. Some of them have to for parts. This one looked like a real candidate for that purpose. I am glad you got something worked out. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-04          58844

Chief, give that hound a glass of red wine. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-04          58847

I am in upstate NY actually. The last time I was near Ohio, I rode the midnight express to Chicago, then took a cab to the car rental agency and drove to the Great Lakes Naval Academy to watch my youngest son graduate. I would have to start another thread to explain that train ride..&%#$%. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58850

Thats a ways for a sunday shoot alright. I used to cut from Windsor to Niagra and be there lickety split but cant do that with the scattergun any more. Its faster just to drive around. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-04          58851

This thread is taking too long to load, we need a part II. So how much did the crime rate go up in Canada after strict gun control was enacted? Was it proportionate to the increase in Great Britain after all the legal guns were confiscated and destroyed a few years ago? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58853

Honestly the Canadian paperwork is not nearly as arduous as the random post 9-11 searches getting back into the us. The Canadians have not historically suffered our crime rate. In detroit we have several hundred murders Vs Windsors 1 or 2 a year. Honestly I think it has a lot more to do with a state of mind than firearms. Either way, I now generally find it faster to stick to the OH turnpike on the way to Maine for lobsters. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-05          58895

State of mind is putting it kindly. A sub culture that resides within many US cities that is devoid of any value toward human life, or for that matter any values at all.

I guess that is why I like visiting Canadian cities, different atmosphere. Although I understand the outlaw biker gangs have caused problems. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-05          58898

I dont know about sub-culture. In SE Michigan the Me-fuirst or I'm more important mentality has gotton REALLY bad. I used to hear people in NYC or other places are going at a furious pace and are generally unpleasant. They have nothing on My fellow statesmen. When I drive to Canada I get so used to driveing properly in the right lane and passing in the left that when I come back I have to take a refresher course in offensive driveing. ....

View my Photos
PI

2003-07-08          59126

Back to oil for a minute. Check out Amsoil's web link here. Take a serious look at the spec's of oil, particularly film strength, pour point and volatility/percent weight loss. Amsoil is a diester based syn, also (some "synthetics" use a petroleum base!). I've run nothing but Amsoil over the last 20 years with unprecedented results. 'Strongly recommend it for folks serious about engine protection! ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login