Go Bottom

clutch problems in 870 or 970

View my Photos
Jughead127
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-17          93752

I own a John Deere 970 tractor and my clutch sticks sometimes. it is very expensive to fix. I believe the same clutch is used in the 870 as well. Has anyone had these same problems in either model, and if so what do i do to fix it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gpac1957

2004-08-18          93823

Jughead, 70 series JD are noted for binding the clutch plates together after sitting for a while. This is especially true in area's of high humidity. The drive and driven plates rust up and lock together after a long sit.
The fix is to block the cluth pedal down (clutch released) when storing tractor for a while. Use a heavy tie down to hold the clutch pedal all the way down.
These clutch discs apparently have a lot of metallic fibers woven into linning.

cheers,
george

cheers,
george ....

View my Photos
bmocad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-18          93829

Jughead
I also have 2 John Deere 870.My 1995 have the problem you described. Put when used it seems to loosen up.
I had my older 1988 apart to replace the noisy throw out bearing. The clutch is the same as any orther clutch I have seen. Put the difference is the big spring washer they use. Side slide piece has very close talterance. I beleive the sides rust and bindu I hve a picture of that clutch posted picture 4 ....

View my Photos
JD870LRA

2008-04-07          152794

I have had clutch problems with my JD870, especially after hard use.
My remedy is to always back in to the parking place so that you can force the tractor in gear after starting the engine if the clutch is stuck. Once you have engaged the transmission, increase the speed and press clutch completely and slam on brakes. This will dislodge the clutch without a big shop bill.

The next remedy is to always tie the clutch down with a rope after use and it will never stick. (I use a piece of electrical nylon fish tape.)

Good luck!

LRA ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-07          152795

LRA; Please fix the tractor before you get hurt. I'm quite sure they have a dry disc clutch plate which has likely gotten stuck to the transmission spline shaft and won't slide. This isn't a real high dollar repair if norhing else is damaged. I'm sure you are headed for some real high dollar repairs if you keep forcing the transmission in gear as you are now, not to mention the safety issue involved. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login