Go Bottom

opinions on John Deere x585

View my Photos
jdlx173
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-05          99883

I would like opinions on the John Deere x585 garden tractors. I've been looking at them and was wondering how they run. I own a JD 4200 compact and it's to heavy for the lawn. So I'm thinking on the x585. I need the 4 wheel drive to get around the lawn in various times of the year. Any imput would be appreciated. And any ideas on gas versus diesel also?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-05          99890

I will assume you are keeping the 4200. I would not buy a conventional mower just for mowing if you have another tractor already. Look at something made for mowing like a front mount. Demo one for a day. They come in 4x4 and make the job quicker and easier. I love my diesels and would buy a diesel motorcycle and weed wacker if they made them. If it is a Japanese gas (like the kawasaki in my John Deere f525), they are good enough. I really don't like American gas engines, and I have had plenty. If my hondas don't start, they are out of gas. ....

View my Photos
jdlx173

2004-11-05          99893

I'm definately keeping the 4200. That's my work horse. You mentioned the front mount ones, how are they for getting around tight spots. I've seen them and they seem pretty big but than I should test drive one and see. The x585 sorta caught my eye. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-05          99896

I know they do catch your eye. JD has been strange in front mounts, they offer the most sizes but use to mostly have 2wd while Kubota and others had 4x4s and almost no 2wd. 4x4 is more of a necessity and I am not sure what JD offers with 4x4 now. Some of theirs are huge. I had a kubota F1800, the smallest front mount 4x4 I know of, but didn't like it as much as the larger models. My current JD F525 front mount, the smallest JD is only 2wd but I love it anyway, just have to watch where I go. Front mounts are very nice to mow with, you mow before you run over, you can reach under fences, trees, bushes, off the top of banks, up banks too steep to drive from the bottom, and cut right around small obstacles with a tight radius. They steer from the back so you need to be aware what you swing into until you get used to it. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-05          99932

You might be interested in the new tractors that will be avialable from Kubota in the spring. They give you the best of both of the X series tractors. They offer a 70 degree front steer turn and still four wheel drive. They offer a 35" inside turn with a 54" deck with their diesel engine. They also will take a blade or a blower. ....

View my Photos
Mike1819
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-06          99940

When we bought our x595, the dealer brought a 585 out for us to use while waiting on ours to get in. The 585 performed great for us. We cut a lot of grass on hilly, sloping land and even with a 62" deck, it never even chugged down at all going up the hills/slopes.
The HS made it great for mowing around the 40 some fruit trees we have.
We ordered the 595 for the diesel engine and ended up with SE edition for the seat that came with it - big extra cost but when you're mowing 4-5 hours on it, it made a huge difference. ....

View my Photos
Tom Keefer

2005-09-28          117082

I've owned an X585 for about 1.5 years now. The biggest thing I DIDN'T like was the silly RIO switch that kept shutting the mower deck off when you backed up. I finally got mad and removed the little tab that activated it. Now I love the operator features.

I've had some problems with it overheating in the hot Virginia summer. I've checked with the dealer, and they think it's a thermostat problem. I ordered a new thermostat three weeks ago and still don't have the part.

It's an absolutely outstanding mower (I have the 62 inch deck). It will go through grass a foot high if you ask it to. I had a 20-year-old JD 420 before - about the same size, and the 585 will out-turn the 420 by a good foot. The maneuverability is excellent, even without differential braking, which the 585 does not have.

If I can cure the overheating, count me as a raving fan.

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-09-28          117093

For the price, wouldn't you consider a 2305 with 62"mmm?
I see JD also has several front mounts, diesels, with 4wd. City crew has one, and they are built on the same frame as the 585 (just turned around end for end).

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-29          117120

There is a lot of used front mount equipment out there by some good manufacturers other than JD. Items like Toro, Grasshopper, etc. You may want to seriously consider them.

I'm glad you are keeping the big unit. They are too handy to have around the place. I considered the X585 back when I was looking for more mower. But then for the money, I couldn't beat going up to the 4310.

I'm not trying to bash JD's equipment, it's great stuff. But the X-series tractors are not inexpensive. But if money is no object... ....

View my Photos
theskipper

2010-10-19          174655

I have a Deere x585, love it but, and am also annoyed by the accessory shutoff every time I go in reverse. I am wondering about the break-off of the tab that eliminates this. Where is this actually located? With my snow blower it is necessary to manually shut it off and then on again when continuing my job. Can't elaborate on the number of times I have headed into a pile of snow only to have to do the maneuver all over again. If the switch would only pop automatically go into the off position it might help. Skip ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login