Go Bottom

Kioti Tractor Clutch Steering Hydraulics failure

View my Photos
rsfarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-21          143931

I have had this tractor for two years I am on my third clutch at 360 hours. I use this tractor to mow with and bales hay. This is the biggest dissapointment I have ever purchased. The steering doesn't work half the time and the Hydraulics seem to overheat constantly. I am going to try to fix the clutch myself this time or get rid of it. I have several tractors with 8-9000 hours on them with very little trouble. Next time I should just give the money to someone who needs it. I would think twice if your buying a tractor to use as a tractor and not a lawn toy!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-21          143933

Rsfarms,

Baling hay is hard on any gear-driven tractor. There's a whole lot of stop-and-go stuff involved with the job. Loader work is also hard on a clutch.

In most cases, clutches go out due to operator error, in which a higher gear is selected than is appropriate for the job. This causes the operator to ride the clutch far more than normal.

I don't have any idea what your habits are, but a series of worn clutches points me in the direction of operator error. Even resting your foot on the clutch pedal, while operating the tractor, can cause clutch wear problems.

Without knowing more about you and your tractor, it would be very difficult to pinpoint the problem.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-22          143952

I see older, "seasoned" guys who grew up with tractors lugging engines on new machines all the time, and not just on tractors but their own new diesel pickups too. Generally engines nowadays are made to run at higher RPM so you need to take advantage of that if things are going to be reliable.

IMHO think the wrong gear (likely to high) used with RPM too low is lugging the engine. That leads to the fan not being able to cool the engine and the hydraulic system efficently. I feel increasing the RPM to the mfg's spec will probably provide better operatability. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-22          143957

Even tho EW and I butt heads on lots of subjects, I'll have to go along with him on this one. The little high speed rice burners just aren't built to lug liked an old "M" Farmall. There is probably some formula somewhere that tells folks who need to know that it takes approximately the same amount of cubic inch displacement of engine size per minute to produce a given amount of torque.
Example; Two engines both four cylinder four stroke.
First one 200 cubic inch displacemetn running at 1000 RPM, so effective displacment producing torque per minute 100,000 cubic inches.
Second engine 100 cubic inch displacement running at 2000 RPM, identical, 100,000 Cubic inches of effective displacement producing torque per minute.
Result being less weight and engine size is made up for with speed to produce identical power.
I know I'm stepping into engineer territory here which I am not, so I know volumetric effeciency differences, etc. all kick in here too. so Murf or any other engineers here, you pick a side and we'll argue this, we need a new subject now and then to kick around. Frank.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-24          143987

Frank I didn't realize we butt heads. Such as? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-07-24          143989

Now Frank, I don't think Jeff is a butt-head at all... ;)

Sorry Jeff'ry, that was just too good to pass up. :)

I agree, the newer engines are a far cry from the iron of old. The big difference is weight, when you spin it you get momentum, and in the big old engines, you get LOTS of it.

Unfortunately the clutches are also smaller, because of weight and reduced loads, and this is a double whammy, since the engine doesn't have the grunt to hold RPM's, and the clutch is smaller, overloading will almost certainly mean the clutch gets sacrificed.

I've seen LOTS of machines, both shiney new stuff and well-seasoned old iron get chewed up in mere hours that way. This spring a recent arrival from the city moved into my area, first big purchase was a new CUT, first thing Saturday he was driving around on it, Monday morning the dealer was picking it up for a new clutch. He and a PHD did the clutch in on Saturday afternoon trying to put in post holes. He figured he could 'muscle through' a band of wet clay.

The comments from the OP such as "The steering doesn't work half the time and the Hydraulics seem to overheat constantly." seem to say that there is an overload on the hyd. system, such as a out of adjustment valve like the 3pth trying to lift the rockshafts higher than the linkage allows, and the pressure relief valve is stuck open and boiling up the fluid.

Also, "I have had this tractor for two years I am on my third clutch at 360 hours." is a telling comment, we rarely have to replace a clutch, our tractors work very hard and usually run to between 3 & 4 thousand hours before they get rotated out of the fleet.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-24          143995

EW; Now what would be more boring than everyone on a board always being unanomus, (or however you spell it). I did my time on local school boards, church councils, corn growers boards, etc. When it came to spending money, or changing to newer ways of whatever subject a board has to handle it seemed we always had the old timer who saw his folks loose everything in the great depression who wouldn't spend a nickle or change from old policy all the way to the young tigers who couldn't spend or change fast enough. That makes a good board. Even my wife will tell you I'm not always right, but darn close in my opinion. Enjoy your HYDRO, and another note, my loft hasn't collapsed YET. You pick a side and we'll argue about something. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-24          143997

Collapsed? Maybe we'll see you on the 11 o'clock news then? ....

View my Photos
rsfarms

2007-07-30          144199

Thanks for your input, I had the clutch changed at 50 hours. It was again changed at 130 hours, it now has 230 hours and needs another. It has been adjusted properly and is only used to rake with. If thats the best they can do for a 30,000 dollar tractor I just don't need it guys. ....

View my Photos
aosbill

2008-12-18          158676

You need to go to school to learn how to drive a tractor. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-19          158687

I've not heard of a lemon tractor, but I think that's more likely than operator error when this owner is so experienced. Like Korean cars, Kioti has a much stronger warranty than the others, and you can communicate with their technical people through their site. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login