Go Bottom

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
SusanH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-06          154327

I have just closed the deal on a new CK35 (hst) with FEL. Its my first store-bought tractor (an up-grade from a 1947 AC with a handcrank start thats so wonky I'm afaid to drive it, if I could get it to start), and I am nervously awaiting its arrival next week. I paid 14,900 with the 130 FEL (on the free FEL promo deal). I sure hope I did good! I've been shoveling the barn into a wagon by hand for way too long.
I am now shopping for implements and such. The dealer says he can put a quick attach plate on the FEL and bucket for $860. I notice I can get much cheaper systems online. I can weld and do simple things, but I'm no machanic. Any thought?
SusanH

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-06          154333

Well Susan, first off, welcome!!!

If you let us know what sort of work you're going to use this shiny new tractor for it would make advising you a bunch easier.

A FEL is a handy tool, but often the tractor it's attached to is a little too unwieldy to make it comfortable to use for the desired project.

Having said that, I've put my tractors in some pretty special places over the years. I've taken a piano off the back of a truck and set it INSIDE a neighbours house with the FEL. I've floated them across, and driven them over frozen lakes. I've even put them on the roof of many story buildings.

Let us know what you plan to do with yours.

Best of luck.

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
SusanH

2008-06-06          154335

I need to accomplish a wide variety of tasks, and for the most part, I'm working by myself, hence my interest in being able to change implements easily. There is barn mucking and hauling manure to the compost heap, turning the compost heap (a wet pile of dirt 20"long, 6"high, and 10"wide; unloading and moving equipment in my workshop (I have a 700 lb tumbler sitting unused cause I can't get it off the trailer), help with building new outbuildings (grading, digging post holes, hauling timbers, holding timbers in place while I nail,etc), maintaining my road, occasional plowing and bush-hogging on about 5 acres. I have another 18 acres in woods that I hope to put some roads through so I can maintain it better. I know, I have way too many projects for one lifetime, but I hope to make faster progress with this tractor to sit on. :) ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-06          154338

SusanH,

That tumbler you have sitting on the trailer......no problem. Just be sure to add some weight to the rear of the tractor before attempting to lift it.

When you use the loader for heavy work, you're going to want some ballast weight on the rear hitch. If you have a tiller for your tractor, that would work well. If you don't have a heavy implement, you can always hang some weights on a three-point drawbar, or even sling some weights under a cultivator.

Being that you have an old tractor sitting around, it might be possible that you also have some front weights for it. If not, you can always run a spare drawbar through a metal bucket, and then fill the bucket with concrete.

You'll find that by using a little rear ballast (300-400 pounds), your tractor and loader will be much more stable on its feet, as well as increasing the tractor's performance substantially.

Congratulations on the new tractor. You'll be amazed at the number of chores you dream up for it.

And if you're looking for implements, try searching through your local farm auctions. Most used implements can be found in good to nearly new condition, but sell for about half the price of new.

Joel ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
crunch

2008-06-06          154344

Sounds like you will need a set of forks as well as the bucket on the front. Not to mention back blade (or box blade), york rake, post hole digger?(vs backhoe) for rear. Quick attach on front is nice. My wife is able to change between forks and bucket in her own. Easy as pie. As far as what type of quick attach? I have JD so it came with quick attach. Skid steer quick attach is universal and take a variety of attachments but I have no experience with it. ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
kmgough661

2008-06-08          154394

congrats on the new kioti- they are very versatile units that as other posts indicate require some basic add-ons- the first and most critical is counter weights- it will greatly increase the stability and lift capability. I do not encourage you to overload the front end by lifting boulders or attempting to move a stump, but counter-weighting will make a big difference in steering.

As for being able to weld- you no doubt have enough savvy to make brackets or quick disconnects plates to fit your machine. A lot of the quick disconnect implements available out there are very easily made universal if not already.

Auctions and tractor wrecking yards are a gold mine for people like you and myself- you will get ALL kinds of ideas and talk with some of the people mulling around these places- you will come up with something that works.

I am a welder / fabricator by trade and am working on a bucket alteration for my Leyland FEL for "grabbing" brush. Let me know if you are interested

Best of luck ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-06-09          154420

Susan, you've gotten some good advice here so far. If you're half handy doing your own thing is dead simple. Lots of people do, including myself. A simple FEL utility bracket I made up for my own machine for around the house is shown below.

kmgough661, welcome neighbour (relatively speaking)!! Sounds like you need to take some pictures for your album to show us some of your handy work.

Best of luck. ....

Picture Link

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
SusanH

2008-06-09          154431

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the great tips so far (I hope I'll get more tips as I get more questions!
A picture is worth a lot of explaining, I can see! This does, indeed, look like something I can do. Are there particular measurements that will make the plate "universal", and does anyone have a picture of the bracket that goes on the bucket part? I've never actually encountered a quick attach system in person, so I still am a bit fuzzy on the concept.
On another topic, the dealer recommends I have him fill the tires for counter weight. Should I make additional counter weights?
I am also intrigued with the brush grabber idea on the bucket. I hope you have pictures or plans to share!
I haven't got the hang of how to attach pictures yet, but here (I hope) is a link to my web page If anyone is curious.
Thanks for all the help,
Susan ....

Link:   

Click Here

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-06-09          154433

Susan, when most people speak of "universal" quick change setups for a FEL, they usually talking about an industry standard setup developed for the skid-steer loader (Bobcat) market that is interchangeable between brands.

That's not to say there is no other way to do it though.

For instance, the one on mine is a simpler system that replicates the OEM pin size and spacing to allow the use of 'standard' bucket or other attachments that utilize the same sizing and spacing. I can't find a picture of mine without anything on it or I would post it too.

If all you want to do is switch between 2 or 3 implements, and will likely never be buying (or renting) other implements for the FEL, there is no real need IMHO for anything more than a quick, simple way to swap them.

Best of luck. ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-09          154436

Unless you are right on the coast you probably would need solution in the tires to prevent freezing. If your tires are tubeless, be sure they use something that will not rust the rims. I think the tires being filled gives a good bit more traction especially on dirt. If weight is an issue, probably not a good idea. kt ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
SusanH

2008-06-09          154438

The dealer has a solution of something, I forgot what, he puts in tires that is the right thing for the climate here in the mountains, but I am wondering if separate counter weights would give me more options. I am concerned about unnecessary soil compaction when I work in the gardens, and the Kioti is a bit extra heavy already. However, I really don't want to set myself up for something that is more dangerous than it needs to be. So the question becomes, will counter weights on the back serve the same purpose as filling the tires?
Susan ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-09          154439

SusanH,

Filled tires are nice if you're going to use your tractor primarily for heavy work. If you plan to use your tractor for mowing a finished lawn, the filled tires can be detrimental to you, due to the soil compaction that will occur.

You can offset this problem by using turf tires, which are wider than other types of tires, and therefore spread out the weight of your tractor over a slightly larger area.

Filled tires aren't necessary. A good set of ballast weights on the 3-point hitch is plenty good. Using weights of this type, you can customize your tractor for most any job you might have in mind for it....from mowing and garden work, to heavy lifting jobs.

I have about 300 pounds on my rear hitch when using the loader for heavy lifting work. This works great.

Joel

Picture Link

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
kmgough661

2008-06-09          154442

Hey Susan, the counter-weights on the back end will do you just fine. The tires in most tractors are filled with a calcium water mix that adds weight and tire stability when coupled with air pressure to give the tire "foot print" a wider section [ which increases traction ]. Another favourite is nitrogen gas. This is really beneficial in keeping fluid filled tires from freezing as well as not being corrosive to rims.

Again, the other posts about "universal" disconnects are correct. It is mere modification to the actual implement you are dealing with more so than what is selected for the tractor side of things.

Any back end counter-weight idea you want is best if it is three point hitch [ for ease of removal when not needed ].

I will be finalizing my brush grabber drawings to prepare me for fabrication very shortly. You are on the list for the outcome. I need to add another spool to my hydraulics bank to operate it. I'll keep you posted on that.

The picture of the forks attachment is great- kudos to who sent that. Just remember that forks on buckets pushes the load center of gravity further out [ basically- watch what you are lifting and this is definitely where you want rear counter-weight other than fluid in the tires ].

I'll keep in touch.
KMG ....

New Kioti buyer

View my Photos
kmgough661

2008-06-09          154443

Hello Murf, thanks for the welcome. I will take the picture invitation up. You are right on the money about "unviversal" adapting. The best system I have seen so far is the Bobcat version, John Deere compact tractors have an effective system as well. The ticket is to get/make a system that fits the one supplied on the tractor side of the boom arms. I intend on keeping you in the loop as far as the brush grabber is concerned. The detail drawings are just about done and I hope to start fabrication soon. Have you been to Shackleton's Consignment Sales here in Springfield recently? I am going under the assumption that you are familiar with my part of the country.

Take care
KMG ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login