Go Bottom

Servicing your tractor

View my Photos
tpulley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-05-13          178440

Well I have reached the 50 hr mark on the 45. I was wondering if you guys service your own at the recommended intervals or if you have the dealer do it. I looked and I feel quite comfortable doing the things myself for the normal 50 and 100 hr interval things.

Speaking of this, when I read the manual it says 50 hrs for first oil change then the way I read it its every 100 hrs afterwards. Is this the way you guys see it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Servicing your tractor

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-13          178452

What we do shouldn't matter. Assuming you have the tools, inclination, manual, and coveralls, tractors are more exposed and simple than cars, and harder to get to the dealer, so I'd suggest you read up on the standard servicing procedure, then ask the dealer to have a tech watch while you do it so he can both comment and look for things that you wouldn't expect or think of in a new unit. Then you can have the pleasure, convenience, and cost-savings of doing your own maintenance and know that you're doing it right.

Oil and filter change after the first 50, then every 100 (filter every 200) is typical.

Servicing your tractor

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-05-13          178453

A compact tractor or any tractor, Gators, or any gas powered equipment for that matter used on an acerage/hobby farm situation seldom log a hundred hours in a full year's use. For that reason I don't adhere to a strict so many hours service interval. For example if a tractor has loged 65 hours in a year's use I don't like to let it go into the winter with old oil just to get the full hundred hours of oil use. Oil and filters are almost free compared to parts and service, so I like to see all the little engines have a fresh service going into the winter for the next season's use.
Frank. ....

Servicing your tractor

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-05-14          178458

I feel pretty confident I can do what the OM says. It doesn't appear to be that complicated. I normally change the oil in my MC and truck.

Thanks ....

Servicing your tractor

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-14          178461

I'm sure you can but there are little techniques that aren't in the manual. For instance, it just says "Change oil filter." A professional mechanic would say, "Here's what you need to remove the old one. If it won't turn, here's what to do. Here's how to check that the gasket came off with it. Watch me put some oil in the new one and oil the seal. Here's how to tighten it the right amount...."

At the same time you can lay in a few years' supply of filters and other expendibles so you'll have them. ....

Servicing your tractor

View my Photos
tpulley

2011-05-14          178473

I am pretty confident in my abilities to perform these tasks thanks for your concerns however. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login